Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I use OSB for workshop Walls

Posted by bigbucks (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 15, 07 at 13:51

I have a detatched building that I plan to use as a heated workshop. I am insulating the walls with kraft paper-backed fiberglass bats. The ceiling will be painted steel with 12 in. of blown insulation. I plan to cover the walls with osb and paint them. I will use conduit for the electrical and attach it to the walls and ceiling.

My question is, can I use osb for the walls or will this violate fire code?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I use OSB for workshop Walls

since it is detached I don't think there will be a problem. Check with your AHJ to make sure.

o

Since this is a detached building, do you have a building permit?

If so you will have a series of inspections to receive your CO (certification of occupancy).

Therefore, check your local building codes to make sure you are in compliance.

Enjoy the journey.

eal51 in western CT

o

I know it's not as messy but why would you want to? Just do it right and vacuum up afterwards. It will have that new house smell & It's a lot cheaper too. $7/sheet of sheetrock vs $20/sheet of OSB.

o

If you are concerned about the osb violating fire code check the building/fire codes for your area.Or about insurance coverage in case of fire better to check and make sure it is within code.
Have you thought about using plain old locally cut pine?
Around here my sons and I built a small animal barn and using local hemlock boards were cheaper than buying osb or other type of plywood.
Using non-sheetrock on the walls I agree is the best.Dont Have to worry about finding studs to attach items to the wall nor aobut making dents/holes in the sheetrock.

Post what you end up doing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here