Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage door opener works! However..

Posted by silverdove (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 08 at 13:28

We are having a new garage door installed. The guy from the door place opined that our garage door opener was installed too high. It is about ten inches above the level of the top of the door.

Is this a problem? Should we go to the trouble of lowering the opener?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage door opener works! However..

Lowering the opener is not too hard to do. And I would lower it if it were ten inches off the top of the door. The opener should be installed at a slight angle. The motor head should be lower than the front of the rail, However many people install them level which is wrong, if they took the time to look in the owners manual of the opener it shows the opener hung at a slight angle.

With that much of a gap between the door and opener, when the opener starts to move the door, the j-arm starts to pull straight down on the door. The opener j-arm (the part that attaches the door to the opener) is supposed to push up on the top section, not pull straight down. It can cause damage to the center style on the door over time and I have saw it bow top sections with struts on them. Have them lower it.

It should cost next to nothing to drop the opener about 8 inches.

o
RE: Garage door opener works! However..

Thanks for the reply. I guess we'll ask the installers if they will lower the opener while they are here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here