Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kerosene Heater for Detached Garage

Posted by mike8149 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 08 at 11:45

I have a 24x24 detached garage with a 9' ceiling and no insulation in walls or ceiling. The 16' garage door is insulated. I need help in sizing a kerosene and/or diesel heater. I prefer one that is convection only, no electric motor and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kerosene Heater for Detached Garage

my workshop is roughly 18 x18, with no ceiling and no insulation, so you cna say that to the center of my roof it is 12'. i use a Kerosun 85 and it works good. it DOES take a while to heat it up, but once it gets there it can easily keep the shop comfy. it will not heat it to 70, but it will make the mid 60's no problem. a lot better than 30 without it!

o
RE: Kerosene Heater for Detached Garage

2 words wood stove. I had a similar setup in my old house. kerosene heater made it tolerable in the winter but you were still cold. Looked around and found a used small wood stove. Got all the piping for around 150 bucks from Lowes or HD. Wood was free just had to go cut it. It could be 20 outside. I would be in the garage working in a t shirt and be sweating. It was also not insulated.

you have to be aware that kerosene heaters use a good bit of O2 in the room. As well as exhausted CO2 into the air. Wood stove is a much safer bet if you work in there for any length of time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here