Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garage floor

Posted by chris_2008 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 08 at 11:32

I have a 2 year old garage, with slab heat, no drains unfortunately. How can I drill holes or put in a drain?
Also, the surface of the floor is already flaking/chipping quite badly. My concrete guy said it is the MN salt... but not everyone's floor looks like this. What can I do to solve this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garage floor

Put in a drain for what? Washing cars? My cities dont allow drains because of envirnmental concerns. You would need to cut up the floor and trench into some sort of cistern or tank. I believe thats a very big deal and I doubt you could get a permit for it anyway.
Slab heat in the garage huh..thats pretty cool. I live in Mn and my floor hasnt flaked in 24 yrs, however I have numerous "pops" that are caused from shale being in the cement mix. I think your cement guy is trying to pass the blame.

o

Most concrete people will tell you salt will flake concrete. Gotta blame someone/something - couldn't have been my workmanship.
If the concrete was done properly salt has no effect what-so-ever.

o

Drilling holes with a heated slab sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. A Dave mentioned, they kind of frown on floor drains now and the floor has to be pitched towards the drain for them to work anyway.

Concrete shouldn't spall. It's often too much water in the mix. The excess water makes the concrete easier to work but weakens the surface.

Here is a link that might be useful: Portland Cement Association FAQ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here