Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Door Operates on Its Own

Posted by wallace58 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 11:11

Craftsman 139.53675SRT1 which is 10 yrs old, started closing on its own, then opened and closed on its own about a week ago. This was not continuous but very intermittent. I disconnected the wired manual opener and removed the battery from a wireless keypad. It opened and closed on its own one more time. Nothing for 3 days, then I erased the remote codes and reprogrammed the two car remotes and one hand held remote as advised by an opener company. It has been 3 more days with no phantom operation.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I am afraid to leave the house without unplugging the opener but don't know what else to do except to wait and watch it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Door Operates on Its Own

Are the openers 'rolling code' units or the older switch position type?

If they are the switch position type you should replace them and the receiver with a rolling code unit.

The security of the rolling codes is MUCH better.

o
RE: Garage Door Operates on Its Own

My current garage door had a similar issue. The problem was that the previous owner had installed the attic floor on top of the wire to the opener, sandwiching it between the plywood and ceiling joists. As the wood expanded and contracted, it wore through the wire and eventually allowed the conductors to touch, causing the door to randomly open. An unlikely scenario, but possible all the same.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here