Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
insulating unattached garage

Posted by rodco (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 10, 11 at 10:51

I have a 24x24 concrete block garage thant i am creating a workshop in. ceiling joists are 2x8's 16OC. There is a floor (nailed down plywood) on top of the joists.
I am installing a woodstove to heat the garage and want to know the best and cheapest way to insulate the ceiling.
My idea was to install the 1/2" rigid insulation sheets on the bottom of the joists and blow cellulose into the cavities.
How does fiberglass bats compare in cost to the blown in? Which is a better insulator?

Thanks
Robert
Pittsburgh, PA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: insulating unattached garage

Blown in tends to have fewer gaps in the insulation coverage.

o
RE: insulating unattached garage

I'd be worried about the insulation panels supporting the weight of the blown in insulation. You'll probably want a drywall ceiling. It will also allow you the flexibility to install any power outlets or lighting fixtures. You'll definitely want to do that before any blown in. Having the plywood on top of the joists will make installation pretty difficult.

In your case, I would just go with fiberglass batts. Get the kraft faced stuff and staple them to the joists. You could add an additional layer of rigid insulation if you wanted, but you would still have the previously mentioned issue with lights or outlets. This won't be as airtight as blown in, but it would be a lot easier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here