Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lift Master opener won't go back down

Posted by timpro (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 1, 10 at 10:28

I have a ~19 yr. old Lift Master garage door opener model 1160 and I've been having problems with it going back down. I've had to use the doorbell type wall switch to make it go back down recently and now it won't go down even with it. It doesn't hum, it just clicks when I push the doorbell switch or the remote. I've disconnected the trolley and it doesn't appear that it's hit any manual stops of any kind. It's in the up position and won't go back down. I'm using the door manually now. I've been having remote problems so I've held in on the yellow smart button for about 30 seconds but that didn't fix the remote problem (wife's car remote opens both her and my doors) and I don't think this contributed to the door not going back down but thought I should mention it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lift Master opener won't go back down

Make sure the trolley isn't jammed against the stop bolt just in front of the motor unit. If it is remove the bolt and run the opener until you get the door closed. While the door is closed locate the 'up limit' control which is on the side of the motor unit. Turn this 2 full turns in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover. Don't forget to replace the bolt.

o

The trolley is about 12" away from the bolt so I turned the up limit control away from the arrow (to decrease travel) about 4 full turns and it moved several inches towards the bolt (higher). I continued to turn the control away from the arrow (counterclockwise) about 8 turns. The trolley then continued up until it hit the bolt. I removed the bolt and activated the opener and the trolley continued up until it stopped (as high up as it can go I assume). Now when I activate it it just hums (I assume it's trying to continue to go up) and then quits humming. I turned the limit control the other way 8 turns (to get back to where I was) and now it doesn't hum, it just clicks which was my original problem although now the trolley is as high as it can go. It acts as if it only wants to go up, not down. What do I do next? It never has tried to go back down. Thanks.

o

Remove the cover and watch the limit switch assembly. It is fairly easy to figure out how it works. If it is making contact and not turning the motor off it is time for a logic board.

o

I turned the limit switch so it would try to raise the door more (even though it's at the top) so I could get the motor to buzz to see if the switch was making contact - it is not. I forced it to make contact and the motor didn't buzz with activation. I assume then that the switch is working and that I need a new logic board?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here