Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
g_mann

Portablr Air Compressors

g-mann
14 years ago

I am looking for a portable air compressor for home use. Looked at many and at first thought that a smaller and cheaper unit would be fine. These were the one's that have the motor and pump connected together as one unit. I then started looking at the bigger units with 20 gallon tanks and noticed that these have the motor and compressor unit separate using a belt for the drive connection. Would the one below last longer than the cheap units?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/air-compressors-air-tools-accessories/air-compressors/campbell-hausfeld-reg-portable-20-gallon-cast-iron-air-compressor-3301586

Comments (7)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

What tools do you plan on using with this compressor? Different tools have vastly different air requirements and you need to size the compressor appropriately. How portable does it need to be? The one you mention won't be easy to toss in the back of a truck.

As with many things, you get what you pay for when it comes to compressors. Thomas makes some very nice compressors but they are quite pricey. There's another company, Jenny, formed by the survivors of the Emglo buyout by DeWalt. They're supposed to be quite good as well.

• creek_side
    14 years ago

I agree with Mike. You need to define your requirements before you jump.

If you aren't already aware of it, the portable oil-less diaphragm compressors are very loud. The belt driven compressors with oil lubricated pumps are much quieter and tend to last longer.

Small portable oiled compressors are available, if you decide that's what you need. Try Eaton linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eaton Compressor

• riegersteve
    14 years ago

if you plan on using the air to drive power tools (drill/grinder etc...) then you will need a decent tank

if you want to use it for air powered painting or sandblasting then you will need very high CFM

what are the requirements ?

• g-mann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am not looking to power tools requiring a high cfm, but rather on using it for pumping up tires, blow gun and a small air wrench when working on motorcycles. I know that you must stay within range of the rated cfm's of the tool along and compared to the rated output of the compressor.

I have already decided that I have no interest in the cheap aluminum 2-10 gallon low cfm units that a lot of company's make.

What I am asking here is if anyone has any info on the compressor that I posted about in my first post about the Campbell Hausfeld brand. The reason is because there are others out there with around the same ratings as the unit I am looking at for quite a bit more money. Ingersoll Rand, Champion and others as well. Do you feel that the compressor I am looking at will not last as long as the higher priced units? I feel at this point that for $299.00 there may be a concern about a shorter lasting compressor. What do you guy's think?

• creek_side
    14 years ago

Campbell Hausfeld compressors are low-end mass market products built to a price point. I wouldn't buy one. I also wouldn't buy a compressor from Tractor Supply or any of the box stores.

I might buy at Northern Tool and Equipment, but I would be very careful and selective.

I have owned a portable Coleman direct drive diaphragm compressor for years. I will not buy any diaphragm compressor again, nor will I buy anything made by Coleman or labeled Coleman.

When I bought a new fixed shop compressor, I bought it from Eaton Compressor. If I had to do it over, I would buy an industrial compressor from one of the big names. I like my paint baked on.

If I replace my portable compressor with a small belt driven unit, I will probably buy from Eaton Compressor.

• creek_side
    14 years ago

Champion is one of the brands I would buy. I would also buy Quincy and some IR products.

• queequeg99
    14 years ago

Another consideration is what you're going to plug the thing into. Many of the better compressors will trip 15 amp circuits. After borrowing a neighbor's compressor that repeatedly tripped circuits in my house, I ended up buying a Makita MAC2400 and have had great luck.

One note about portability: all of the literature on my unit touts its portability. That literature must be directed at NFL linemen. I'm 6 ft tall and pretty strong but a groan at the prospect of having to move the Makita. So if you order a unit to be shipped and really desire portability, try to see a unit in person first.