Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RATS in Garage attic.... Maybe squirrles?

Posted by rodco (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 19, 11 at 0:07

I am turning my 24x24 cement block garage into a workshop.
I was going to leave the sheetrock ceiling in place that the previous owner had installed. I noticed a damp yellow spot and started to remove the drywall. I am glad I did. To begin with, the insulation was only 3 1/2" thick. Next I found that almost all of the insulation had been ground up and was actually one big roden nest. I had 4 Large trash bags filled with debris and droppings. I am not sure if it is Rats or squirlls. I also noticed that they had chewed the wire insulation.

I need advice on the following:
1- Now that I have removed the nest..will the rodents be gone?
2- What do I spray the ceiling joists with to remove any germs or smell?
3- Is there anything I can put up in the attic to keep the rodents out? (moth balls? Borax? Cedar shavings?
4- I am going to reinsulate. Anything I should put in to avoid the same situation?

Thanks in advance
Robert- Pittsburgh

garageceilingbefore

ratnest2

ratnest1

ratwire1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RATS in Garage attic.... Maybe squirrles?

Rats and squirrels are never welcome in attics. I wonder if you over heard any activity up there before demolition? If not, the rodents are probably not currently in the attic. The hole where the crtters are coming through needs to be closed. Replace any chewed wood and reinforce vent gaps with quarter inch welded wire mesh. The previously chewed wood can also be covered with the mesh to keep squirrels out.

The smell needs to be treated with an anti bacterial spray. Bathroom cleaners can accomplish this task, but many of those require rinsing and that may not be an option. Odor eliminators are available. Many have generated rave reviews and do not require rinsing.

Seal the holes, get it clean, and put it back together.

LawnRanger

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here