Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a correct way to dust?

Posted by wearybuilder (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 10, 08 at 23:49

Should you use something like pledge or just a dry swiffer type cloth? I'm mainly thinking about furniture, but while I'm asking, I guess I'd like to know about kitchen cabinets and fireplace mantles too!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a correct way to dust?

I do not like Pledge. Once you contaminate a piece with the silicone oil in it, you never get rid of it. From my perspective, it makes refinishing and repair difficult. But it also tends to build up.

I prefer a soft, clean cloth. If there is a distinctive grain pattern go with that direction. Keep turning the cloth often as dust can be abrasive and hard dusting can actually introduce scratches. You can get treated cloths that help to electrostatically hold the dust and not just move it around.

For kitchen cabinets, you have a different set of contaminants (oils from foods and hands). An occasional cleaning with a cloth dampened in water and a bit of Dawn or similar dish detergent will remove the grease. Left to accumulate, the grease will build up and soften the finish to the point where you can wipe it off. Water is OK as long as the finish is sound and you don't go overboard with it.

The above is my opinion.

Here is a link that might be useful: other's care tips

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here