Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Pledge OK to use on wood furniture?

Posted by carolyn53562 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 13, 06 at 23:44

I have read that Pledge contains silicon and that if you use it often that it will ruin the finish on wood furniture. Is that true? If it is, what products whould I use in place of pledge? I have a new saloom kitchen table which needs to be cleaned often because I don't use a table cloth on it--just place mats. Saloom says to just use mild soap and water, but that dulls the finish on the wood so I have been using Pledge to clean it after meals. Am I hurting my table? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Pledge OK to use on wood furniture?

Yep - Pledge should be banned IMHO!

I use a barely damp cloth on some things and lemon oil on others, following the manufacturers' directions.

o

Silicone does no harm to the finish, however, if you ever have to have it refinished it will wreak havoc. Finishing material will not adhere to silicone. There is no way to tell if silicone is present when one begins applying a new finish. What happens is craters appear all over the surface resembling
fisheyes (and that's what it is called). Try Guardsman polish,
the type that is mixed about 4:1 with water is very economical and does not build up or leave an oily film.

o

I sell Saloom, and I have it in my house. You don't have to use soap. Even dried up foods will loosen with warm water and gentle wiping. Try to get to spills sooner than later.

Pledge doesn't seem to work so well on newer furniture, we've stopped using it in our store for most items. I don't think you're hurting your table, but its just not necessary

o

We use liquid Gold on all the wood. My husband who likes antiques insists and I have to say the stuff looks better since we switched. Personally I don't care. but you've got to love a guy who loves antiques as I might be one.

o

If you ever use a paste wax on any of your furniture....liquid gold will turn it inot a dull, gummyt mess and you will have to remove all the wax with mineral spirits and start over again....
I like Weiman's.
Linda C

o

Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll just use water and see how it goes. After years of trying to keep water off of wood furniture, it's hard to get used to using it on wood finishes of today. Mogator, I have a question for you. My saloom table came with two small checks in it. They are small and don't bother me--they might only be in the finish. HOwever, when I checked Saloom's web site for care instrucitons, I noticed that their warranty doesn't cover checks. Should I be concerned about the little checks? Thanks.

o

Bump--I'm hoping that my last post will help me prove to Saloom that the little cracks in my table were there within a year of its delivery to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here