Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY refinishing a solid wood table

Posted by davidrt28 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 11, 09 at 21:54

I know this has come up before...I've read the archived threads.
There are a lot of "experts". I'm not one. I want to know whether anybody who is NOT a finishing expert has done this successfully and been happy with the results. I once tried to seal a medium-quality oak table with polyurethane. It seemed at the time very tricky to get the laps smooth, but oddly, on drying it didn't look as bad as I thought it would. Is that why poly is popular with the home market - self-correcting?
Table is on-sale until Monday (hhhmmmm, who could it be from...) - I like the design of the table, the sale price seems reasonable, but the color just doesn't match the chairs I would like to use with the table. Think I can live with it for a year or two but will have the constant urge to start the project. The wood grains are similar, it's not like I'm trying to match oak to walnut.

Thinking the procedure would be to:
move it to the garage
rent a hand-held belt sander and sand, 100 then 220 maybe?
test areas with a stain to try to match chairs
2 coats of stain
3 coats of poly with light sanding between?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
cancel that!

bumping this down...
the more I think about it, I just don't want to go through this. Although I like the table, it's style will never completely match the chairs, and so the effort to match the finish doesn't really make sense

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here