Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nittanylion1

Restoration Hardware Trestle Salvaged Wood Dining Room Table

nittanylion1
13 years ago

Does anybody on this site own this table from Restoration Hardware?

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/collections.jsp?categoryId=cat160033

I LOVE the table, but am always a little cautious when I cannot read reviews from consumers that own and enjoy the product. This table is completely unfinished salvaged pine. It is a soft wood and has a very distressed look...visible crackes, uneven parts, and even some warping. I love the distressed unfinished look, but what happens when you spill a glass of red wine on it? I want this table to hold up to everyday use and don't mind some added character, but wonder if anybody has put it to the test. Is this a timeless piece?

Comments (43)

• bobismyuncle
    13 years ago

I have worked on a couple of these, but fortunately, they were structural issues.

I think you are warranted in your concerns. I would not buy one of these.

Pine is very easily dented in everyday use. I tell people if they buy a pine piece it will get dented. Not if, but when.

An unfinished wood will be prone to stains and water marks. RH recommends using a wax on these pieces. Unfortunately wax has practically no resistance to water unless it is very thick. Water beading up is a phenomenon of surface tension but does not mean that the water is not penetrating the wood. One of the primary reasons for applying finish to a piece is to make a cleanable surface.

• johnnyl53
    13 years ago

RH peddles "lifestyle" goods. Unfortunately it puts them into the position of sometimes deciding to sell goods that are fashion statements and not very usable...much like the fashions you see on the runways....looks kinda good from a distance but not functional.

• lauren17
    13 years ago

I was in the market for a dining table several years ago. I looked at several lines, but couldn't find one that looked good and was well made in my budget. I ended up having one custom made from the following link. I couldn't be happier with the finished product. They are located in Virginia, but if you are in another part of the country, I'm sure there are similar crafters elsewhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Tables Made Daily

• subwaytile
    13 years ago

I love RH. Most of their stuff is very well made.I have a finished RH dining room table and it was one of the best purchases I have ever made. That said, I would think that an unfinished pine table would be prone to all sorts bad things despite being well made

• berrymm
    13 years ago

I have it and I love it! I received mine in early December with absolutely no trouble at all with RH and delivery. I used one coat of monocoat clear natural oil finish to protect the table and it turned out fabulous. This table is not for everyone. My 12 year old said it reminded her of the table she ate on while away at summer camp. I corresponded with juddgirl2 on this site who also had purchased and loved the table. She is the one who told me about the monocoat. It provided a water resistant, silky finish feel to the table and darkened the wood only slightly. It's exactly the table I hoped it would be. Search for juddgirl2 on here and she has some pics. She is a darling "girl" to correspond with and so helpful with my questions!

• duvalkel_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

i have the table, having trouble with warping and planks seperating from one another (1/4"), anyone else have this issue? seems like more than normal wood movement. RH said this was normal, since the wood is "so old" and said I could return it, but I would be responsible for shipping. disappointed.

• lisaj1354
    12 years ago

I own a RH Maxwell sleeper sofa. Its enormous and its fabulous. The only thing I think they cheaped out on is the construction of the sleeper portion of the sofa. The mattress was very thin and I had to replace it.

Other than that, I'd buy from RH again in a heart beat.

• Miki601
    10 years ago

I am wondering how the Monocoat Oil Finish worked on your salvaged wood table from RH. I am looking to purchase one also but am concerned about the finish. Has anyone had any problems with their salvaged wood piece?

Thanks!

• mrscollie
    8 years ago

Can anyone update me on their monocoat oil they used on their restoration table?

• PRO
    Seesaw Studio
    8 years ago

Monocoat is the latest generation in a family of alternative clear and stained coatings that require only one coat---hence the name. They are superior in workability and wear, and can be 4 times as expensive by volume as say a polyurethane. Some have the added feature of less off-gas. Brown Dirt Cowboys---at American Steel Studios in Oakland---specialize in reuse wood furniture ansd salvaged wood projects, and are highly creative---totally beats RH in quality and uniqueness..and probably the same price in the long run!

• kgauntt1
    8 years ago

I have this table in the salvaged brown and love it! Unfortunately, in my new design, I need a round table. I am thinking of purchasing the same table just round. I have a question, does anyone know if you can treat this table for outdoor use? I have a covered lanai and love this table so much, I would love to use it outside under the covered porch, out of the elements. I live in FL so I have to think about the humidity. Any advice on if it would be possible to treat it for outdoor use?

• nearingemptynest
    8 years ago

kgauntt1:. I am considering buying the RH trestle in the salvaged brown. Did you have any issues with the finish as far as stains/maintenance/easy to clean? Or did you apply monocoat or another finish to protect it? Have you had it for many years? It is going in a sunroom. Thanks so much for your thoughts!

• kgauntt1
    8 years ago

Hi cdflowers. We have not had any issues with the finish to date. It is extremely easy to clean and it always looks amazing. We have not applied a top coat because once you do, it voids any warranty. But it is such a well built, solid table, I do not foresee us ever needing to execute the warranty. We do apply some wood oil to it from time to time, but that is all. We love it!

• nearingemptynest
    8 years ago

Thanks, kgauntt1. I am relieved to hear that you have had such good luck with the salvaged brown finish! I have read (in other blogs) that some have had horrible issues with the natural finish, but did not see much feedback on the brown. I did read that someone put tung oil on the brown finish and it took the brown off. May I ask which oil you have luck with? We are thinking of the 8 or 9 foot length (before leaves)...I love the look of the table! Thanks again for your help!

• kgauntt1
    8 years ago

we used old English wood oil

• nearingemptynest
    8 years ago

Thanks

• mommytofive
    7 years ago

Hi, kgauntt1. I just bought the salvaged brown RH trestle table and was wondering if you were okay putting water glasses or hot coffee mugs directly on the table or did you need coasters? You seemed very happy with the finish, so hoping that this was not a problem. Also, okay washing with soap and water or just water? Thanks!!!!

• Paula Gialdi
    7 years ago

I am also considering this table, any issues with water marks?

• mommytofive
    7 years ago

I have the salvaged brown RH trestle table, and it's awesome! No water marks in the dark brown color.

• harrow33
    7 years ago

Hi mommytofive and kgauntt1. I just purchased the trestle table in the brown salvaged wood. I have been reading a lot about sealing these RH trestle tables but it looks like all of the comments are direct led to the natural and grey tables. Have either of you applied any coating or finishes to your brown tables? I would love to hear how your tables are holding up. I have 2 kids so I need the table to be functional.

Thanks.

• slarisa219
    6 years ago

I have the trestle table in salvaged brown. It's beautiful and i think we'll have it awhile. However, i have some separation between the planks where they're a little bigger spaces than you would expect. Also, the end pieces are a little larger and have moved a bit where you can see small spots where stain isn't applied. Anyone have any advice on that or do i just live with it? My husband thinks my idea of hitting gently with a rubber mallet is silly. lol. Again, this is an imperfect table so i know this is to be expected and overall i love it, but i wouldn't mind touching up or trying to minimize these issues a little. Thanks.

• kristinsoileau
    6 years ago

@mommytofive @kgauntt1 @slarisa219 I just purchased this table in the salvaged brown and wanted to check back and see if you guys have continued to be pleased? The store said no treatment is necessary and to only clean with water. Do you agree? I saw that you sometimes use old english wood oil? Does this work well? Just want to make sure and take good care of this! Thanks so much!!

• J9 Merx
    6 years ago

i'd love to know too!!

• betspath
    6 years ago

About to order RH table but scared due to very negative reviews of RH online. We want the "natural" finish. It’s the 1900 bakery table with built in extension. Also, we were going to get the school house chairs.

• HU-469092305
    3 years ago

Did you ever end up getting this table. I’m about to buy it and am having reservations due to all the comments about the finish.

• HU-469092305
    3 years ago

@betspath did you end up getting this table. It’s the exact one I want and I’d love your thoughts on it.

• PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    3 years ago

I have never had good experiences with RH. There are many great vendors that can create something similar and stellar.

Look into Lorts, Hekman, Gat Greek and Copeland Furniture

I hope this helps.

Here are a few of my favorite dining room tables.

Dining Room Tables

• jtkaybean
    3 years ago

Looked everywhere for alternative to RH dark brown trestle table. We always came back to RH,liked their table the best.I’ve had the table for almost 4 years and beyond pleased how well it’s held up.We didn’t treat it with anything.I try to oil it few times a year,that’s it.Highly recommend it. It’s also held up to a lot of abuse from our teens (who carelessly leave cold drinks on it overnight,no coasters!)

• mommytofive
    3 years ago

What oil do you use on it? And what do you wash it with after a meal? Looks beautiful!

• jtkaybean
    3 years ago

I use Method Wood for Good”cleaner. Target sells it
    Mostly just spot treat table though.(I use thick placemats definitely helps)I also use a little brush for crumbs.
    This is what I use to treat/moisturize the table https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orange-GLO-32-oz-Wood-Furniture-Cleaner-and-Polish-121283A00/100375951
    There might be something better out there though!

• jtkaybean
    3 years ago

Orange Glo

• mommytofive
    3 years ago

Thanks!

• Chrissy
    2 years ago

So does anyone have the natural finish RH table?

• dayana216
    2 years ago

I just purchased the natural finish and very worried about staining as not finished. I called rh and they told me to use high quality wax to help seal (which I just ordered); having said that, I read that pure tung oil is a better protective cover but will alter the color slightly. Anyone have experience w either of these ?

• dayana216
    2 years ago

It looks beautiful. Lots darker however , sifting if the tung oil would come out a bit lighter ? What finishing techniques have you seen for natural loo, if you wouldn’t mind sharing?this is our table , chairs match it so don’t want to have it come out too dark.

• nearingemptynest
    2 years ago

I am not familiar with tung oil at all. Our chairs are RH natural and we left as is…they have darkened since purchase and are not as dark as table. I tried to do a quick search for the techniques and did not find the one i had previously seen. I am pretty sure it was on pinterest. A few of the techniques were a bit too labor intensive for me. The legs have a lot of detail Love your chairs! Your set looks beautiful.

• dayana216
    2 years ago

Thank you so much :)

• Sandra
    2 years ago

We are considering the natural table but with Carrara Marble top. Does anyone own this one ? Txs

• bah_verona
    last year

Does anyone have the trestle&marble top from RH? we’re about to order it and can’t find any reviews online.

• mrscollie
    last year

I acutally do. we never eat on it but it does etch easily. It is marble after all.

• bah_verona
    last year

Thank you, oh that‘s not great news we’re getting it for everyday use, so i am really debating if it’s a good idea.

• Kimmy V
    6 months ago

Has anyone removed the trestle legs for moving the table? I need to move it from a room with a small opening and can do it if I can get the legs off. Thanks!