Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White and/or navy Sunbrella fabric on indoor sofa and chairs?

Posted by LLHF (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 30, 11 at 18:33

I'm considering upholstering my family room furniture with white and/or navy Sunbrella fabric (or the like). I don't want slipcovers, but I would like to be able to wash cushion covers in the washer and clean the body with a wet vac, if it needs it. Does anyone have experience with Sunbrella on indoor furniture? I have kids and a dog. They are hard on furniture. My current sofa is upholstered in a Robert Allen polyester blend woven fabric. I wash the cushion covers in the washing machine 3-4 times a year and they look OK. My Pearson chair fabric hasn't held up so well. I think it is a linen/cotton blend. It is disintegrating before my eyes (understandably, after 9 years of heavy use). I'm thinking about getting a Sunbrella fabric sample, rubbing it on the dog then pouring red wine and chocolate milk on it to see what does and doesn't wash out of it. Thankful for any insight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White and/or navy Sunbrella fabric on indoor sofa and chairs?

I would look at Crypton fabric. There are no upholstery fabrics that are designed to be washed in the machine. I think you would not be happy with Sunbrella on indoor furniture. Some manufacturers use Crypton, and if you are thinking of reupholstery, Joann fabrics carries it.

o

Thanks for the suggestion of Crypton. I saw it at Joann and was impressed with it. I am leaning against it because I'm looking for more of a canvas or linen look fabric. Most of the Crypton swatches I saw were more textured, like chenille. Very pretty, but not what I'm seeking. According to the Sunbrella website, you can machine wash in cold, and even use bleach (!). I just don't know how comfortable it would be.

o

Crypton does make other designs that aren't textured (I know because I have it on barstools). Check on the Joann's website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crypton linen look

o

LLHF, You mentioned you had a dog. One other advantage to Sunbrella fabrics. At least the one that look like cotton twills, is that dog hair is very easily removed.

o

I just bought a chair for a sitting area and covered it in Sunbrella fabric. It turned out great, and you'd never guess it was indoor/outdoor fabric. I had looked at Crypton, too, but didn't like the look or the texture of it nearly as much. I don't plan on washing it in the machine, but I can say it's great with pets!

o

I am probably too late, but wanted to let you know that I had 2 sofas slipcovered in Sunbrella fabric 10 years ago and they are still beautiful. I have washed them many times. You would never know they are Sunbrella... the texture is not like the outdoor type fabrics!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here