Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_predmore

White and/or navy Sunbrella fabric on indoor sofa and chairs?

LLHF
12 years ago

I'm considering upholstering my family room furniture with white and/or navy Sunbrella fabric (or the like). I don't want slipcovers, but I would like to be able to wash cushion covers in the washer and clean the body with a wet vac, if it needs it. Does anyone have experience with Sunbrella on indoor furniture? I have kids and a dog. They are hard on furniture. My current sofa is upholstered in a Robert Allen polyester blend woven fabric. I wash the cushion covers in the washing machine 3-4 times a year and they look OK. My Pearson chair fabric hasn't held up so well. I think it is a linen/cotton blend. It is disintegrating before my eyes (understandably, after 9 years of heavy use). I'm thinking about getting a Sunbrella fabric sample, rubbing it on the dog then pouring red wine and chocolate milk on it to see what does and doesn't wash out of it. Thankful for any insight.

Comments (7)

• clt3
    12 years ago

I would look at Crypton fabric. There are no upholstery fabrics that are designed to be washed in the machine. I think you would not be happy with Sunbrella on indoor furniture. Some manufacturers use Crypton, and if you are thinking of reupholstery, Joann fabrics carries it.

• LLHF
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion of Crypton. I saw it at Joann and was impressed with it. I am leaning against it because I'm looking for more of a canvas or linen look fabric. Most of the Crypton swatches I saw were more textured, like chenille. Very pretty, but not what I'm seeking. According to the Sunbrella website, you can machine wash in cold, and even use bleach (!). I just don't know how comfortable it would be.

• clt3
    12 years ago

Crypton does make other designs that aren't textured (I know because I have it on barstools). Check on the Joann's website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crypton linen look

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

LLHF, You mentioned you had a dog. One other advantage to Sunbrella fabrics. At least the one that look like cotton twills, is that dog hair is very easily removed.

• sas95
    12 years ago

I just bought a chair for a sitting area and covered it in Sunbrella fabric. It turned out great, and you'd never guess it was indoor/outdoor fabric. I had looked at Crypton, too, but didn't like the look or the texture of it nearly as much. I don't plan on washing it in the machine, but I can say it's great with pets!

• soxfan6
    12 years ago

I am probably too late, but wanted to let you know that I had 2 sofas slipcovered in Sunbrella fabric 10 years ago and they are still beautiful. I have washed them many times. You would never know they are Sunbrella... the texture is not like the outdoor type fabrics!

• cocofer
    8 years ago

I have couches covered with sunbrella and have had them for 1 year. They are pilling really bad. I remove it with a deballer but they return in a couple of weeks and I have to do it again. Anyone know why this happens