Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lclanton58

Is this possible - Long table to round

lclanton58
11 years ago

I have a broyhill mahogany table. The 100th anniversay series. It measure 9' long with the 2 leaves in.

My dream is to have a 7' or 8' round table. Can a furniture craftsman take the table I have and add to it to make it into a round table. I was thinking that maybe use the legs too. There are to sets of lets one on each leg.

New tables look around to be 5 to 8 thousand dollars. Also The table I have matches my china hutch.

Just wondering if I should pursue this adventure.

Thanks for any advice, Linda

Comment (1)

• bobismyuncle
    11 years ago

I tried to do a search to see what this table looked like, but could not find anything. So I'll offer a couple of general comments.

* An 8' round table is huge.
    - At the standard 2' per seat setting, it will fit 12 people
    - Conversation across the table will be difficult.
    - Also difficult to reach anything in the middle (even for dusting).
    - You will have difficulties moving a solid 8' diameter table through most doorways and up and down most stairs.
    - The largest round tables I've ever worked on were 6' diameter and they were overwhelming.

* I don't think it will be practical to make this from solid woods, so veneering is a logical construction technique. Most sheet goods substrates only come 4' in width, so you will need to have a seam down the middle. It's going to take a large veneer press to even do half at a time. Most likely, it will have to be vacuum pressed.

* The aprons are going to have to be re-made, as they will need to be near the edge so it's not tippy. These will have to have a form and be bent. Probably laminate bending.

* You may also need more legs made. I'd probably recommend six to eight legs. Pedestal legs will not work. I'm not sure what you meant by "There are to sets of lets one on each leg."

* You'll need a competent finisher to do a job that big and to match colors to the rest of the set.

* In conclusion, you are asking for a custom made, labor intensive, high material cost, large tooling, and high skill requirement project at a bargain price. To give you some reference, I took a veneering class about 10 years ago. The instructor did custom veneer work. The table he was working on back at his shop at the time was much smaller and he said it was priced at $50,000. There is simply no way a custom one-off piece can price compete with an already designed, routine fabricated, production piece that comes out of semi-skilled labor in Asia.