Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is White Hickory wood like?

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 2, 08 at 17:51

I was looking at a dining set online and the description said the wood was "White Hickory". I know what hickory trees are (until recently had a property full of them) but was not aware that their wood was used for furniture. I want the set to coordinate with an antique oak china cabinet which is a warm rusty brown color. Im not having much luck finding an oak table of the right color and right style, so now I am looking at style and color regardless of wood species.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is White Hickory wood like?

Thanks for your reply. After posting I did a Google search for white hickory hoping for some pictures of the wood and did not find any, but did get multiple hits for the furniture manufacturer "Hickory White". So now I suspect that even though I asked the vendor about what the wood was, the reply was the name of the manufacturer. Unless there is a wood actually named "White Hickory"? Its a reseller so perhaps that is all she knew.

o

Here is a picture of a Simply Amish dinette set in natural Hickory. Hickory has a lot of color contrast. Hickory heartwood is tan or reddish brown with a sapwood that is white to cream. It is this extreme contrast between the heart and sapwood that makes it easy to differentiate from other wood species. Hickory has become popular in kitchen cabinets in recent years and is now seen more in furniture.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here is a link that might be useful: Simply Amish Furniture

o

Thanks, furnone. Thats a very attractive wood. Makes me wish Id had something made from my former 3 acres of hickory trees! This is helpful; its obvious to me now that this is not the wood in the dining set I asked the vendor about, which had a dark stain. I will have to ask them again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here