Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
La-z-boy recliner sofa quality?

Posted by Robin_G (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 8, 05 at 17:51

We're looking for a recliner sofa and the most comfortable one we saw was at La-Z-boy (Clarkston series). I can't find any reviews here and was wondering if they are worth the price or are there others of higher quality in the $1k+ range. We saw some in teh same price range that should have been in the $600 category! Yikes.

Thanks for any comments.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: La-z-boy recliner sofa quality?

Any sales person/research that I saw while searching for a new reclining sofa or sectional indicated that lazy-boy is ok, that you get what you pay for. Even those that sold lazy-boy suggested that it would last a few years, not to expect over 7. Our lazy-boy sectional is 11 years old and the mechanisms are shot. One recliner is locked open and it takes much effort to close the other. The footrest
"wood" on the matching reclining chair is broken, but the V fits my teenage son to a T. The fabric is accectable and our son that is marrying this spring may use some of the nicer pieces. (Sleeper, the unit with the fold down tray, the wedge and one recliner.) Our pieces saw daily use so most sales folks were amazed we still had it. We bought a nice leather sofa and chair to replace some of the seats we are giving up, and we may go back to lazy-boy to get a couple of recliners. We just won't expect them to last forever like the "nice" stuff better. We liked the comfort of flexsteel, and motioncraft, Ashley had some pieces that we sort of liked, but decided to go higher end with no motion for a while in a few seats.

o

Thanks for the info.

What do you consider the 'nice' stuff, then? I haven't bought furniture in so long I have no idea any more.

We sat in dozens today but I confess I didn't take note of the brands except some Ashley I think, which was so-so.

o

Bradington & Young seems to be considered one of the higher end brands (we were not overly impressed with what we saw on the floor at the places we looked), Motioncraft is the motion division of Sherrill, Hancock and Moore has some motion, but is expensive. (You can order non-leather in these, but they do seem to focus on leather.) There are a few others but I can't think of them off of the top of my head. We bought Century non-motion because of the way it felt. (With an ottoman the high back on the chair and sofa is as comfortable as a recliner. If you want to look at what we got put in lr 8294 on the link below) It We are looking for another ottoman/coffee table to go in front of the sofa and we are also looking for a couple of more chairs, (recliners, rocker?, who knows)

Here is a link that might be useful: Century Furniture

o

We've had nothing but aggravation with Lazyboy's reclining mechanisms. When DH's $900. 1 yr old chair quit working I called the atore & was told to "bring it in." I explained I had a Coupe DeVille, DH was disabled & had no way haul it & asked if they'd pick it up since they were less than 2 mi. from me- they refused. They'll never get another cent from me.
Suzi

o

I agree the recliner chair mechanisms are poor and after-sale service non-existent.

o

Careful on La-Z-Boy. They are using pre-formed cardboard on arm shapings and their mechanisms and NOT Leggit & Platt (best in the industry). Should you buy La-Z-Boy, consider it disposable furniture.

o

Another voice of experience on this older post. We have a 1-1/2 yr. old sectional set from their Matinee line in our family room. Within a few months, the microfiber fabric started to get a "roughened" feel, almost as if it had been sandpapered. The recline mechanism has been an annoyance since Day 1 -- you have to be the Incredible Hulk to keep it reclined fully. It always wants to spring you back up, and we've tried numerous times to adjust the spring tension. They did send out a manager on a service call for both of these issues, but he basically could do nothing to resolve the spring issue. He submitted photos and a report on excessive fabric wear to the corporate office, but they rejected it and said it was just normal wear. Very disappointing for the money we paid (almost $4000 for two 2-pc. loveseat sectionals). Never, never again will we buy from La-Z-Boy. My 10-yr. old microfiber sofas bought at Macy's have held up 100X better.

o

I bought 2 of the Todd Oldham recliners. It didn't take long for them to look old and used. The reclining mechanism didn't work that great either. After 2 years they are history.

o

Just bought a sofa and chair, both leather recliners from La-z-boy. During delivery they took off all wrapping (before moving the set upstairs, I live in a condo) and both items were damaged. I called and spoke with the delivery people and customer service and requested to replace the set. I asked to protect the items during delivery. Next delivery was worse, the guys were pushing the bare leather sofa thru doors and elevators. I asked them to protect the leather. Their answer was to tell me to refuse the set. I did. I figure by the time it went thru 3 more doors it would be all damaged.It had a scar that I was not sure it was a repair or a mark.
The bottom line is that I spent $3300 on sale price + 100 delivery. The Operation manager of the warehouse, in refuses to send another set.
The manager of the store offered to send me his floor sample since the operation manager of the warehouse will not allow a new delivery.
It is a protected leather and I see some tiny peels or fisures. I wonder if they will get worse with the time.
Any advise? Even if they decide to deliver a new piece, (the store manager said he will try thru customer service) I wonder if their leather, the "protected leather is a good one. I want a set to last long time. Any advise?

o

I bought a Lazy Boy sofa and cloth recliner about 5 years ago. Within 2 years the arms have a "concave" area where the stuffing collapsed along with the springs in the seating area. I'd never consider Lazy Boy "quality." As far as I'm concerned they are skating along on a name and they have nothing to do with quality. My next sofa will be a real quality sofa and will be the last one I'll have to buy.

o

I just purchased to recliners form lazy boy last month. They were on sale. I hope they hold up. Right now they are very comfortable. I'll keep my fingers cross.

o

Unfortunately La-Z-Boy uses some of the worst construction materials in the industry. A cut-down of one of their frames done by SMART MONEY magazine in the October 2006 article "Pottery Barn Uncovered", showed they are actually using hi-density cardboard in their frames instead of wood.

Motion furniture is especially hard to make well. Its subject to intentional movements, high stress loads that vary with the position of the piece, and is frequently used more often then any other piece in the room. Add to that the basic construction of a recliner, in which all structural rigidity comes from the bottom of the chair frame, and its easy to see why they fall apart when not well-made.

Its pretty much true that you get what you pay for in furniture. There is no way that a $ 399 recliner is going to perform as well as a $ 1,399 recliner.

My oldest piece of upholstery furniture in my own home that is used daily is a Hancock & Moore Woodbridge Recliner that I bought on my first dealer order in 1986. 21 years later, its still going strong and I haven't even replaced the cushion inserts. Even the leather is in great shape. Cost of ownership per years of use is far less than the cheap stuff.

Duane Collie

o

I wonder if things have changed at Lazy boy. I was in their show room a few weeks ago and they had a display recliner that was cut away on 1/2 and showed the interior springs and mechanisms. There was no cardboard.

I want to get a double recliner. Currently I have a 17 year old lazy boy that just recently seems to have developed issues. I want to replace it with a double unit but want something that will hold up. Does anyone have any experience with the Lane recliners??

Katy

o

I just finished reading all the posts responding to your question, and I'm amazed at all the negative comments about LaZBoy furniture. I have a LaZBoy recliner that I've owned for over 20 years, and it still works fine & looks good. I LIVE in it; it is really the only place I sit in the l.r.. So, it has had plenty of abuse, but, the only sign of age is that it is starting to get a little soft in the seat-cushion though that is not really noticable. The fabric looks good, and, the reclining mechanism works fine. After reading all the negative comments, I can't help but wonder if their quality has changed over time.

o

We had a La-Z-boy recliner sofa several years ago. We liked the sofa, but had trouble with the mechanism. The back of the sofa came off and we had a terrible time getting it fixed, it was literally months. My parents have had several recliner chairs through the years from them (maybe several is the key word) without problems but our experience with customer service once we got the sofa home was terrible. Unreturned phone calls, appointments made that they didn't show up for, trying to not honor their warrantee, it was unpleasant all around and when it was finally "fixed" it was never quite right. It was our first "major" purchase after we got married, very disappointing.

o

I live in Monroe, the home of the corporate headquarters of La-Z-Boy. A couple years ago we purchased a rocker/recliner and from day one it has not sit properly. It tilts to one side. So I called corporate customer service and a guy on his lunch hour (I can literally walk to the building) came out. He wanted to replace the seat which he did, but refused to acknowledge it didn't sit right.

La-Z-Boy is not doing well because they don't stand for quality anymore. Unfortunately, in looking for a replacement, I find that it's either completely out of my budget (and over 2k for a recliner is simply not doable) OR they focus on leather and I don't want a leather chair sitting next to my huge Thomasville leather sectional. It has been very frustrating.

La-Z-Boy used to be a quality company but since the day they closed down all their factories in Monroe and other cities in the US and shipped their operations out of the country (mostly Mexico), their stuff is simply garbage.

I agree..if you buy it, either don't use it or expect to replace it within 5 years or less.

o

I had a La-z-boy recliner many years ago. To borrow from George Burns; if I had known it was going to last so long I would have taken better care of it. I loved it and it wore like iron, BUT that was one made in the USA.

I am looking for a new one now so I did a lot of looking around on the web. the consensus? DO NOT BUY LA-Z-BOY!!! Their product is very bad and their customer service is worse. I even found a report on the store closest to me.

The last thing you ever want to do is place a special order. Customers report waiting many many months with no hope of a refund for bad furniture that the company will not fix or replace.

o

I have one of those nice ones with the wood arms that curve down and become the legs 50's style. Worst purchase I ever made. Waited weeks for it and it was crap within the 1st year. Poorly constructed and upholstered. Lay-z-boy was not interested in hearing about it. Then mechanism still works, but it looks terrible. I have a Natuzzi leather sofa I purchased before it (almost 10 years old now) that looks better than it ever has.

o

lazy boy did make a good frame but now it isent as goo as it usetobe . 47 years in recovering furnituire i haven`t saw as much junk on the market as they have now .price hasen`t went up as much as anything elase but the quality had went to the bottom on the low end .

o

Yo! Papasage. Good to see you here.

o

OMG...........we had a La-z-Boy that lasted 27 years!!! It still looked pretty decent when we got rid of it and we had used it constantly. The foot rest was going and it made a bit of noise when you rocked in it. I bought a new one and am hoping to get as much time with the new one. La-z-Boy chairs are of superior quality!!!

o

"La-z-Boy chairs are of superior quality!!!"

No....
La-Z-Boy chairs USED TO BE superior quality.
The product you bought 27 years ago no longer exists. Your next one will NOT last that long....

Read the posts!

o

For those of you who think that the fact that La-z-boy furniture is made "offshore" (someone mentioned Mexico!), check out the company info before you throw around-thinly veiled bits of racist or xenophobic "wisdom." The company we're talking about claims that nearly all its products are manufactured in the US, using imported and US-made materials. You can read the information that they've published in writing on the website where they include that information. If the quality is crap, it's because people in the US are, apparently, making crappy furniture.

Meanwhile, their products all come with lifetime warranties, which they do not appear to be especially good at honoring (only the fabrics and leathers have limited-term warranty, from what I can remember). If you like something they make and you're willing to deal with the potential warranty issues, I'd say go for it. For my part, I'd sure like to know what these other top quality manufacturers are, I'm in the market for a leather couch and I can't get a straight answer out of anyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: La-z-boy website

o

Well lets see, my parents (74 years old) purchased a la z boy rocker recliner and after 2months the material creased in the seat. No pets no kids just sitting, and I was told today it is not a warranty issue. $600 for a chair that has been out of their home 4 months out of 10. They are saying they re-did the seat the two times they sent it in, I feel they steamed out the crease and put it back on the chair, since the crease comes back in two weeks. Save yourself the hassle, buy anywhere else.... even a $200 chair from big lots lasts longer than this!!!

o

From the link posted by Not Xenophobic:

"With factories and employees across the nation and world, this homegrown family business certainly has come a long way from its humble roots in a Michigan cornfield."

Nation and WORLD means that not ALL their product is domestic.

o

Yeah, they went from being a quality oriented, Made in America company located in a Michigan cornfield to a Volume, bottom line, made in Beijing company. That is what their bean counters call Progress, my friend.

o

SAVE YOUR MONEY...Don't buy Lazy-Boy

Frustrated and replacing my lazy-boy sectional lead me to this blog.

I used their designer services & paid over $9,000 for two chairs ($1,200 each) and a four piece section with custom fabric & pillows. I had never done that before. It was a time in life when I wanted quality & style that would last.

Within a year, the frame in one piece of the sectional broke. Now almost 4 years later, the fabric is faded by the sun and ripped at several seams. By the way, this is a household of two working professionals in their 50's, no kids.

o
Refused to honor the warranty

I fell for the La-Z-Boy story of high quality and a life time guarantee. Paid about $1,200 EACH for a pair of matching recliners.

A few years later one of them broke. It was a metal part so the warranty should cover it. During a series of frustrating phone calls they
* Told me the chair was really made by another company so call them. I said "no. The chair, the receipt, and the warranty have YOUR name on them. I expect you to honor it."

* They told me they didn't have the parts, to call the other company. I said "No, this is your warranty you need to call them.

* After many such calls the national warranty center simply said "We can not fix your chair.". I said, then I expect a new chair. They said "We can't do that"

They simply REFUSED to honor their warranty.

I finally took it to a local upholstery shop. The man was able to fix it in 2 days for about $200 bucks. (it was a broken zig zag spring)

I would have been better off with a cheap $299 recliner that I just replace every 3-4 years.

o

Do NOT buy Lazy Boy furniture, you will be extremely disappointed as we are. It is very poor quality. Within ONE month the cushions are completely flat on our sectional. Not a good value for the money. If I wanted a poor quality sofa I could have spent a fraction of the price!

o

I've just gotta report this contact with La-z-boy: after 14 years my chair's worn out pawl and ratchet caused a malfunction. I called the store to start the process to get the part (I can do the installation myself [I'm sure]). The whole process couldn't have been more expeditiously and kindly handled. I wish I had the woman's name I dealt with because she deserves a raise. She's even sending the same part for my wife's chair which is on the verge of the same problem, but not quite there yet (exact same chair bought at the same time).

o

Hmmmm...tons of negative posts but none mentioning a store or manufacturer offering a quality sofa recliner for $900 - $1300. Interesting. If you need to spend $2k to get quality then that puts a lot of people in the 'lesser quality boat'. So unless you can reccommend a better manufacturer of a $1000 reclining sofa, where does LazyBoy rank aming *its* competition.

We bought a sofa/recliner w/ loveseat and two leather recliners 6 years ago. The are used every day. I can assure you they are not going to wear out by year 7. Of course we do not weigh 350 pounds and our kids are not allowed to abuse it nor do we have pets. I just went out to look for a cheapie sofa for the basement at some of the local stores that popped up recently. Big Lots etc. the offer stuff from $299 (Simmons) but for the most part it seams complete crap to my lazyboy stuff. I mean its a BIG difference in quality.

So, where should I be looking if lazyboy is so bad?

o

I found that article from Smart Money magazine. It is called: Pottery Barn Unstuffed. Very interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Unstuffed

o

Stopped in a LaZboy store yesterday looking for a sectional and everything was very expensive ($3000 for a small one). Construction looked decent. Got a LaZboy flyer in the mail yesterday and they advertise a $600 couch.
Go figure.
Bought a pair of $200 recliners (maybe Lane but no label)when our kids were born 18 months ago and they've been well used. They're a little creaky when reclining/rocking but have hold up well.

o

I think La-z-Boy offers a pretty good product in their price range. It's like anything else look at the tailoring, comfort and construction and make your own judgement

o

I'll say this about my la-z-boy experience. If you're seriously looking at buying one of their couches/recliners, go with the handle mechanism not the small round latch that releases the footrest. I bought two rocker recliners with handle operation and I still love them. The couch on the other hand I went with the latched footrests because I liked the cushion pattern better, big mistake. The thing is horrible and I fight with it everytime I try to get the footrest up. Not to mention its operation has left black stains on my carpet. Moving soon and I don't even think I'll try to sell the couch and to the dump it will go, as I wouldn't want to inflict the same misfortune on some unsuspecting buyer!

o

My experience so far with la-z-boy furniture is as follows. We purchased a reclining La-Z-boy sofa about 18 years ago and the only part we replaced is one of the pull cables. That's it. still in great shape and the cloth still looks almost new. Now, my wife was so impressed with the old piece mentioned above she insisted on new la-z-boy for our living room upstairs after our Ashley leather group was showing its age after 9 years. So we purchased the Trevor 3 piece group in blended leather. After just a few days I can tell this stuff my not last. Its already making creaking noises when I sit on it. I'm 195lbs. Also, the cushions seem to be getting way to soft after a few uses. I'm very concerned that this will not last. I compared our old recliner sofa in the basement to the new one and there is a difference in build quality. Heavier everything from cushion springs to the frame itself on the old one. I guess La-z-boy needed to cut cost to keep the prices competitive. To bad. I would say if you Don't weigh over 140lbs or so it will probably be good. But I'm afraid my weight at almost 200lbs will wreck this stuff over time.

o

My LaZboy recliner is working mechanically OK it's the leather that has a big hole in it after only 3 years. The company won't fix it. I live by myself so it hasn't been abused. I think the leather needs to be covered and that's the only way to keep it from breaking down. And then I wonder. I'll never buy another one from there.

o

Wow Great post and good to know.
We almost dropped ~2000 on two chairs from then yesterday because of a sale ending in the Northern VA area. After reading all these testimonies I am now extremely apprehensive.
I have noticed their sales people constantly mentioning they do not work on comission, and my perception is that Lazyboy is a step above RoomStore, Costco, Ashley.

For only a few hundred more in simple sofas, I may give my business to Thomasville.

o

I haven't purchased a La-z-boy recliner sofa, but less than two years ago we purchased a La-z-boy recliner. I already had three Flexsteel sofas, one 8 years old and two 6 years old. Two are in a family room and get constant use. Long story but the 8 year old and 6 year old sofas are in the family room and are identical except that one is two years older. Both still look show-room new. We just replaced the La-z-boy recliner because it looked 20 years old, not two. We were tired of having to pick up pieces of plastic that fell off the bottom of the chair. I bought La-z-boy because La-z-boy is synonymous with recliners. What a mistake. This time I did my homework and found that Flexsteel also make recliners and all their frames are truly steel. If you want any upholstered furniture, look at Flexsteel. For just a few dollars more, you will many more years of use.

o

I think the issue here is that recliners by their nature are problematical. You are much better off buying a sofa and or chairs with a few ottomans. They are more comfortable and more trouble free.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here