Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gilmoregal

Amish Dining Table?

gilmoregal
15 years ago

Our 20 year old kitchen table/chair set has seen better days, so I am in search of a new one. Due to the size/shape of our eating nook, I am looking for a round pedestal base table that will seat six comfortably (54"? 60"?) with one or two leaves. Maple or cherry wood in a traditional (not too country) style. Willing to pay a little more for something that is well made and will last another twenty years or more. I have found a couple of amish furniture sites (simplyamish.com, amishtables.com) which have some styles that I like, but I hate to invest that much in something sight unseen without getting some customer feedback. Has anyone ordered from these or other amish furniture companies? Would appreciate any reviews - positive or negative. Thanks.

Comments (5)

• lindac
    15 years ago

Gilmoregal...I am puzzled why you are looking for furniture that will only last 20 years??
    The round oak table in my family room is about 100 years old and the walnut table I am using for a computer desk is likely about 150 or more years old.
    Good quality should last at least a lifetime.
    Linda C

• gilmoregal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cuse69 - Thank you for the link. I have read many of Duane Collie's posts and have great respect for his opinions. I did not see any posts about online amish furniture on his site, but maybe I will register and post my question there.

lindac - I did not mean to suggest that I am looking for a table that will only last 20 years - I was trying to say that I want something that will last AT LEAST 20 years... (I figured that would rule out many of the brands that are now made in China/Vietnam....) My budget is not unlimited, but I know that if I want 'lifetime quality', I have to be willing to pay more now....

• cuse69
    15 years ago

gilmoregal...

I think you should at least post your questions on Duane's site. Also, Duane has a network of craftsmen who make handmade furniture (primarily wood casegoods) that might also be a potential for your needs.

• furnone
    15 years ago

I am the sales rep for Simply Amish in New England.
    Simply Amish has a lifetime warranty on their furniture. Unlike, most manufacturers, the warranty includes transportation to and from the factory on company trucks. Transportation costs often nullify warranties, with the transportation cost exceeding the worth of the furniture.

The Amish are not going out of business either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simply Amish Furniture

• horsegrl
    15 years ago

We fell in love with SimplyAmish's Aspen entertainment center. The we were quoted the price -- $4070 plus for soft maple and $4700 for hard maple.

Is this the lowest price I will find? Might they be going on sale as a way to get people to buy during these tough times? s And what are the advantages of soft vs. hard maple?

thanks