Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for a new dining area table

Posted by tansunny (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 16:52

I say dining "area" because I do not have a dining "room". I live in a 1950's ranch style home where the living room and dining area are all one open space.

Currently it is just myself and my husband although we hope to have children in a few years. Every couple of months we have friends/family over for dinner.

Currently we have an oak pedestal table that seats 4, 6 with the leaf in. It has a tile top. The table is heavy, durable, and in very good condition (just refinished 5 years ago) but its just not my style.

We are definately not a formal house. I would say I try to find furniture that is not traditional or trendy. I have a somewhat transitional style. Not really into bold patterns. In the living room, I have a sofa, oversized chair & matching ottoman, all in the same sage green microfiber. The area rug has tones of rust, sage green, chocolate brown, ivory, light gold and blue in a sort of diamond pattern (not a very contemporary rug, but definately not a floral oriental either). I like simple and stylish.

The walls are in the living/dining area are currently painted SW Restrained Gold. The floors are wood and are a stain called Early American which I chose because it does not really have any yellow or red undertones and is not too dark. However, the floor does have enough dark grains running through it that I could get away with a table that is a darker grain (not black or mahogoney...I just don't want that yellow oak color-dated looking).

Can you help me? I refuse to step foot in Art Van or Gardner White and the like as I am convinced they sell junk. I plan to check out Macy's and JC Penny tonight, but from past experiences I doubt they will be much better. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also want something that is going to last.

The dining "area" as we are calling it is a rectangle. I am hoping to find a table that normally seats 4, but that could accomodate 8 (with leaves). If it sat 6, I suppose that would be ok too, but as the current table seats 6 and there isn't anything wrong with it, I have to have an add'l selling feature for my husband, ya know? I could do a round table, but the space we are working with is not terribly wide, so anything round would have to be fairly small and I doubt I would find one to expand and seat 8 in that case.

Please help. Direct me to any online sites. We do not have a fancy home and we are in our early 30's. We are a working couple going to school so we can afford something decent, but we don't have the $$ or the home to justify a custom or high end piece.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for a new dining area table

To give you an idea of my style, something like this is pleasing to me-straight lines, but not boring. The color may be a little dark and I'm not sure we have room for a square shape, but I like the chairs.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=1894fac&DeptID=70752&CatID=70840&SO=0&SelDim=4294957900%7e&CatSel=4294953291%7cdining+collections&Ne=4294957900+586+838+580+8+18+904+949+833&x5view=1&shopperType=G&N=4294953291&Nao=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=70752:70840

o
this one is nice too..

This one is not bad either, although not sure how I feel about the medallions on the chairs or the color. But I like the general shape.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=178dc2d&DeptID=70752&CatID=70840&SO=0&SelDim=4294957900%7e&CatSel=4294953291%7cdining+collections&Ne=4294957900+586+838+580+8+18+904+949+833&x5view=1&shopperType=G&N=4294953291&Nao=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=70752:70840

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here