Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tansunny_gw

looking for a new dining area table

tansunny
13 years ago

I say dining "area" because I do not have a dining "room". I live in a 1950's ranch style home where the living room and dining area are all one open space.

Currently it is just myself and my husband although we hope to have children in a few years. Every couple of months we have friends/family over for dinner.

Currently we have an oak pedestal table that seats 4, 6 with the leaf in. It has a tile top. The table is heavy, durable, and in very good condition (just refinished 5 years ago) but its just not my style.

We are definately not a formal house. I would say I try to find furniture that is not traditional or trendy. I have a somewhat transitional style. Not really into bold patterns. In the living room, I have a sofa, oversized chair & matching ottoman, all in the same sage green microfiber. The area rug has tones of rust, sage green, chocolate brown, ivory, light gold and blue in a sort of diamond pattern (not a very contemporary rug, but definately not a floral oriental either). I like simple and stylish.

The walls are in the living/dining area are currently painted SW Restrained Gold. The floors are wood and are a stain called Early American which I chose because it does not really have any yellow or red undertones and is not too dark. However, the floor does have enough dark grains running through it that I could get away with a table that is a darker grain (not black or mahogoney...I just don't want that yellow oak color-dated looking).

Can you help me? I refuse to step foot in Art Van or Gardner White and the like as I am convinced they sell junk. I plan to check out Macy's and JC Penny tonight, but from past experiences I doubt they will be much better. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also want something that is going to last.

The dining "area" as we are calling it is a rectangle. I am hoping to find a table that normally seats 4, but that could accomodate 8 (with leaves). If it sat 6, I suppose that would be ok too, but as the current table seats 6 and there isn't anything wrong with it, I have to have an add'l selling feature for my husband, ya know? I could do a round table, but the space we are working with is not terribly wide, so anything round would have to be fairly small and I doubt I would find one to expand and seat 8 in that case.

Please help. Direct me to any online sites. We do not have a fancy home and we are in our early 30's. We are a working couple going to school so we can afford something decent, but we don't have the $$ or the home to justify a custom or high end piece.

Comments (2)