Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poll (of sorts) on Wood Furniture (pic heavy)

Posted by rjinga (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 3, 09 at 15:48

I have acquired some older all wood pieces of furniture (dressers, tables, oak end tables coffe tables, that sort of thing).

I'm planning to refinish these and then sell them at my booth in the antique mall. some of the pieces it's clear to me that they should NOT be painted, and in the state they are in, they just need to be cleaned up and sold as is.

My question is about wood dressers primarily.

Would you be more inclined to purchase a dresser that is a decent wood that is either painted or would you prefer it stained (part 1 of my poll)

question 2: what do you think this is made of.I know it needs some work, but I think it will turn out nice.

question 3: IF you would like this dresser painted, what would work best, black or shabby chic white?

question 4: IF you prefer this to be stained, would you keep it similiar to what it is now or go darker?

Question 5: You will note that the 2 lower drawer pulls are missing, the PO did not keep them and now of course I will unlikely find replacements to match the others, so what would you use?

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poll (of sorts) on Wood Furniture (pic heavy)

The wood on the drawers, side panels and top look like oak veneer to me. The frame of the side panels are a different wood of which I am not sure about.

To me if you paint a decent wood, how would one know it is decent? I repaired part of my painted kitchen cabinets with red oak. Once painted, I think only a woodworker or knowledgable furniture person would recognize the grain under the paint.

I prefer stain in a medium brown color about the same color it is now.

This is a personal preference, but I don't like the pulls, so replace all of them is my vote.

That top looks to be in pretty rough shape.

o

yes, this piece will need some work, but I think that the pictures of the top appears/looks worse than IRL. So would "oak veneer" if that's what it is, be considered decent and worthy of retaining it's wood appearance? or would it really not matter with something like this?

I will definitely replace the pulls

o

It seems to me that selling the dresser unpainted will make it most likely you will find a buyer - it can be stained by someone who wants it dark, or painted by someone who wants it coloured. You could even offer to "finish to suit". If thirty percent of people like light wood, thirty percent like it painted, and thirty percent like it dark, then by making a finishing decision you are eliminating sixty percent of potential customers by either painting or staining dark.

Me, I mostly like my furniture light, and when something is stained dark I get a strong urge to strip it. There is an abundance of dark furniture available, less light-coloured.

I think the frame might be maple.

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here