Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nbusch1128

Those comfy chairs at Starbucks...

nbusch1128
18 years ago

Does anyone know who makes those really comfy lounge chairs at Starbucks? I just love sinking into those chairs, I never want to leave. I am looking for some really comfortable chairs for a conversation area. Any ideas?

Comments (30)

• User
    18 years ago

I am sorry I dont have the answer for you but I have to agree with you that they are so comfortable and apparently quite durable. My guess ( hope I am wrong) is that they are made for Starbucks or just for commercial use. I remember thinking the same of some of the furnishings in a really nice timeshare we stayed at by Marriot in Florida..... you know it HAS to be durable....
    anyone know?

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

I bet you could write STarbucks and ask. I remember a trend here a while back was to use the paint colors in Starbucks and each store had spare gallons for touchup that folks always took color samples of...so they're probably used to questions about their furniture by now, too.

• likry
    18 years ago

Next time you are there, flip up the cushion and see if the manufacturer label is there.

• lizh
    18 years ago

I love those chairs too. I even asked if they knew who made them but no one there did. Try contacting a service rep. I did something similar. I loved these chairs in the lobby at a hotel in CA. The front desk knew the name of the ID who did the interiors and gave me her name. I called her and she told me the vendor and to contact my local rep for that furniture line. I never did get the chairs but it is amazing what you can find out when you dig. If you find out, let us know.

• subscriptions_homocoit_us
    18 years ago

Starbucks furniture is manufactured specifically for Starbucks. They will not release any information other than the company only supplies Starbucks and does not manufacture for anyone else -- they even go to the extent of removing any identifying tags before they are to be shipped to the stores.

• blueribbon
    18 years ago

Do people still go to Starbucks? I thought that fad was over a while ago. I sse them now in gas stations and gorcery stores, so I thought all the "hipness" had worn off the idea of paying huge markups on a cup of mediocre coffee.

• Patintle
    18 years ago

i also love Starbucks chairs. Especially the ones with dark, almost black mohair, it feels like rubbing my hand on a cat! I did lift the cushion to see which company made them. ;) But there was no tag! I hope they share the manufacturer's name. I don't understand why they wouldn't share it so the manufacturer could sell more furniture!

• blake2502
    18 years ago

Not sure if this was correct, or if they still carry them, but a sales guy at Crate & Barrel told me that their "Library Chair" was the same as the starbucks chair. I ordered one and like it a lot. Looks like a semi-funky version of an armchair, upholstered in velvet with exposed nail trim. If you want it to be cushy, you have to order the upgraded down cushions. The maker is Mitchell Gold, so even if Crate & Barrel no longer carries them, you may be able to track it down elsewhere. Good luck!

• imapetunia
    17 years ago

Geometric Furniture is one of the companies that they use. I don't know if they supply for all Starbucks.

• dgmarie
    17 years ago

Do people still go to Starbucks?

Absolutely!

• mogator88
    17 years ago

The "original" Starbucks chair, with the rounded legs, was made by Galerkin Manufacturing in California. These are the same people who designed and made the red chair in the kids show "Blues Clues".

Anyways, the chair is no longer in their catalog, although its possible they might still make it on request.

This company does not build for Crate and Barrel. And no matter what the salesman says, anything C&B sells is NOT the same as Galerkin. Not even close in fact.

• marshaval_comcast_net
    17 years ago

I've been looking for chairs similar to Starbucks' too, but to no avail. I've been looking for years for that look but can't find the right one. I love the velour/velvet type, the black ones specifically. I did email them and they said they could not disclose who makes them (which really stinks) but I just can't stop there. I mean, it shouldn'tbe such a big secret! They should feel complimented if their customers want to decorate their home with that "starbucks look". So has anyone ever found out? Much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Marsha

• mogator88
    17 years ago

Did you not read my post? It was the very last one until you responded, so its now right on top of yours. The chairs were made by a company called Galerkin in California. There is a website called Google, perhaps you've heard of it, www.google.com. Search for Galerkin, call them and ask if they're still making the chair, and to refer you to a local dealer. I know that's tough, but do try and let us know how it turns out.

There is no secret, you just have to READ what is right in front of you. All sarcasm above is intentional and IMO deserved.

• russmahogany
    17 years ago

Mogator88. Thank you. Good post.

• marshaval
    17 years ago

Your sarcasm is NOT appreciated, and you and your accomplis can stick it up your XXX.

I read your post AND after I read it I looked up *gasp* guess what? Galerkin on *gasp* guess what? Google, and there was nothing, and I'm not even going to call them about some chair that they USED to make as if they're going to make one especially for me, and let alone you.

The chair you referred to with the rounded legs is NOT the chair I'm seeing in their stores. So ANYWAY, besides you two old farts with bitter good for nothing posts, I'm wondering if anyone has anymore ideas about finding this chair or anything close to it.

THANKS to anyone else besides you two.

Marsha

• mogator88
    17 years ago

C'mon, the Galerkin furniture factory is the FIRST result returned when you search for "Galerkin" on Google.

I've given you a good idea. Just google again, the phone number is at the bottom of the screen so you'll have to scroll down to see it.

I'm not even going to call them about some chair that they USED to make as if they're going to make one especially for me

This is custom upholstery, dear. Yes it is made just for you. You can't just walk into Value City and buy something like this off the floor. Either you want it or you don't. You have the best lead you're gonna get, stop being angry and at least give it a try...

• mogator88
    17 years ago

BTW, here is a link

http://www.zoehome.com/ItemDetail.php3?SKU=UCHvista&Page=

I typed "Starbucks chairs" into google and its the third one. There you go. My Google sarcasm was rude but entirely on the mark.

Here is a link that might be useful: Online seller of the Starbucks chair

• marshaval
    17 years ago

Well, thanks for being somewhat helpful this time around.

What I meant when I Googled Galerkin and got nothing, I should've re-worded that. I meant that i Googled and went to Galerkin and SAW nothing. That's what I meant to say. I saw nothing even similar to those chairs.

I'm really just looking for some good leads on some "pottery barn/crate&barrel" style furniture but necessarily from those two places.

My point of posting in this thread is that I love the chairs in Starbucks, and was happy to hear that others have the same idea/mission of finding something like it. I didn't really think for one minute that what sounded like to me a big know-it-all like you would come along and try to make me look like a fool. It was very rude. I READ your post but got nothing from that Galerkin lead.

Did you happen to read a previous post from someone else, who she said she knew who the vendor was, but she didn't say who.

Anyway.... I took offense to your reply. I hope you realize that people don't come to these forums trying to get pounced on. People come here for ideas, answers, inspirations.

• russmahogany
    17 years ago

I resent being called old.

• mogator88
    17 years ago

I think you just made her day.

• jimtnc
    17 years ago

Man, you two must have the patience of Job. I assume you're in the retail and talking-to-snooty-and-arrogant-customers-all-day business and have mastered the techique. (he he he) There are some people that just love teeing off on others completely irrelevant to their situation after having a bad day. Such is life.

• finz2left
    17 years ago

Steve,

If you have any Thinking Chairs lying around, feel free to send them to me in Alabama ;-p. We've had at least 8 plastic blow-up ones in our living room decor over the past 8 years, a zillion thinking chair notepads, and a cookie jar of the chair. I don't know if we've ever "loved" a chair more. My 8 year old still "think, thinks, thinks" --

Whose Clues? Blues Clues! :-)

• scott101_2010
    14 years ago

Truly one of the most comfortable chairs of ever been in. i ripped off the tag from the cushion. It was one of those do not remove tags. It says:

Quality and company Inc.
    871 Edgeley Blvd.
    Concord,Ontario Canada.L4K4V9

Polyurethane Foam
    I don't know if this is the manufacturer
    It might be a lead

• simplehomes_cs_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I have some starbucks furniture frome the frisco,CO that I'm trying to sell if any one is interested. I have a green microfiberish lounge chair, a round checker board table a large handicap table and two wood chairs. I was going to start posting ads today. I had a huge stack of cards but I haven't found them yet.

• capytanred_aol_com
    13 years ago

I reference this thread every couple of years. I have trouble finding chairs that fit me and I absolutely love those low brown leather chairs. I went to a store in Bethesda, MD and they were gone. The Manager said that she thinks they are moving away from them! Does anyone know how I can get a hold of some or where the warehouses are? I'm happy to buy some.

• meg7nines_gmail_com
    13 years ago

OMG...I love these chairs. But recently GASP! our local starbucks have been replacing the comfort with apparent comfort.
    For example, I started homing my ample american bottom in our local starbucks stores in 2006. I know, I was a late adopter, but make no mistake, since then my joe hails only from the green and black goodness that is Starbucks.
    Boom and bust starbucks-style has kept us loyal anniversary blend fanatics on the edge of our comfy chairs, and with great bated breath, also kept us wondering what changes were to break upon our beloved locations.
    Stores opening, :::delightful squeel:::, stores closing, :::mournful tears:::, favorite pastries switched out for healthier fair- eh... then the tea was completely changed, and who can bear a life sans the most delectable Orange Mocha? RIP.
    However, now my local starbucks has decided to take away the 'comfort' from the comfy chairs and replace it with chairs that look similar, but that do not sink. Sure, they're ok to bench your buttocks for a quarter hour or so. However the Times will never again be read in its entirety from these faux-felt draped, non-padded recycled railroad ties. Ouch.
    With great remorse and breathless lungs, I now ask: Can Coffee Bean cushion my toosh the way Starbucks used to?

• vterkel
    8 years ago

Is Galerkin still in business?

• George Moreno
    4 years ago

I have three of them for sale

• Peter Steilberg
    2 years ago

George, did you sell the chairs?