Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buy a sofa and provide my own fabric?

Posted by ColorfulLair (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 13:54

I'd like to provide my own fabric for a sofa. Any suggestions where to order the sofa from?

Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buy a sofa and provide my own fabric?

This is known as COM (Customer's Own Material). Many places that "make to order" will do it. But realize that you will
a) have to pay for the cost of a sofa with their mid-priced fabric

b) have to supply the fabric at your cost

So, you're essentially paying for fabric twice.

o

Just about all your high-end manufacturers accept COM.
As bobsmyuncle posts, can cost more, unless you purchased your fabric from a discounter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manufacturer that accepts COM

o

I recommend working with CR Laine or TCS Upholstery who will create something of superior quality/value. I send fabric to these places all the time for my design clients. Any designer could place the order and ship your fabric down to them.

Two things to keep in mind: Sofas need a lot of fabric... Be ready to supply around 20 yards.

The pricing will only change about $400 (depending on what you pick) as COM is usually the same price as using the manufacturers most basic fabric.

Any thoughts on how much you want o spend? There are a few lower end ones that I would recommend if you are looking to for lower price points.

o

ordering a customized sofa is not a wise decision...you will be paying double price for fabric....

o

I'm interested in hearing about lower price points! I want a sectional with COM. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here