Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shorty28_gw

Quality Sofa

shorty28
11 years ago

Hi. Does anyone know where I can buy a good quality sofa and/or sectional that will last more than 5 years?

I bought one from JC Penny and it's only been a year but the cushions are starting to dip. I think they're foam cushions. I've read that Ethan Allen and Crate and Barrel used to have quality furniture but since have declined. Any other suggestions?

Comments (3)

• stacieann63
    11 years ago

Hi, I have a leather sectional that is considered "high end" and it is holding up very well, looks new and cushions are still firm. Bought from Ethan Allen in 1999. It is Classic Leather from Hickory NC. They have a website and you can view their prices and custom order. Just type Classic Leather in your search. That said, my DD and her DH are just starting out and bought a sofa from Value City Furniture with a 5 year warranty that includes not only the fabric wear and staining but the cushion firmness. There are definitely differences in foam density, but I believe a high density foam keeps it shape better than say downe. Are you able to flip your cushions? My livingroom sofas are upholstered and I flip them often. They are not the same quality as my leather sectional and dip too. But turning them does help.

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

Stacey I am not aware of any warranty that covers fabric wear.

As far as cushions whats more important than the density of the foam is the quality of the foam.

If your cushion core is using a high end foam such as "Qualux Ultra" or "Ultracel" foam you will find that the cushion will pretty much never wear out.

Cushions are measured in two values. The amount of foam per cubic foot such as 1.5, 1.8 or 2 which means 1.5 pounds per cubic foot etc. and the ILD of the foam which measures the firmness or softness. A high quality 1.8 lb foam will be much better than a 2.5 lb regular foam. As far as ILD cushions can range from 7 to 70 with 7 being so soft as to be uncomfortable and 70 like sitting on a granite curb. The ILD typically used ranges from 18 to 35.

Flipping shouldn't really be required and with some cushions can't be flipped such as your leather sectional cushions. A down cushion will generally have a foam core and here again look for a good quality core. An all down cushion is actually not comfortable as the down moves out to the sides.

Shorty if your cushions have zippers in the back you can replace and upgrade the cushions at any unpholstery shop. If you like your sofa it might be worth the investment.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

Very good points made here from Freethinker99.

The ultimate foam though is the natural latex. My grandfather worked about 60 years at Fairfield Chair and in the early 60's the conversion to polyurethane foam was just beginning. Grandfather at that time brought home a Fairfield swivel chair with the latex cushion. My grandmother will turn 100 in February. And to this day this is still the favorite chair in here house. With the original latex seat, that still has not lost its shape or support, but its been reupholstered countless times with several new swivel mechanisms.

This post was edited by rmanbike on Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 11:07