Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to buy a bed???

Posted by kashka_kat (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 6, 10 at 12:17

Hello, not sure I"m asking for suggestions as to what to buy (although I'm certainly open to that) but HOW TO buy. Because of a back injury last spring, I need to buy a new bed. However, it can take a good 3 or 4 consecutive nights to really know what the bed does for my back. The thought of spending a few hundred at least and then it not working scares me.

What should I be looking for if I test one out in the store? Can I return one if it doesn't work out (not likely I would assume...)

In the meantime I've become quite used to sleeping on the floor. Maybe I'll just buy a foam pad and call it a day.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to buy a bed???

Sounds like you want something very firm. I've found that's good for the back as well, though it can sometimes take a bit to get used to. If you're already on the floor, though, then you must be okay with that :)

Foam core futon mattresses tend to be much firmer than traditional spring mattresses. You can try going to a futon store, where they'll also have frames intended for such mattresses. Talk to the staff there about a trial period and return policy; every place will be different but you should be able to find someone that will be willing to work with you.

Best of luck!

o
RE: how to buy a bed???

For a bad back, if you were to rate mattresses on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being softest and 10 being firmest, go for a 7 or 8.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here