Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
covenantbuilders_gw

Bedroom furniture, Kincaid or Durham?

covenantbuilders
12 years ago

We are about to purchase furniture for our master bedroom. We are interested in Durham's "Hudson's Falls" (antique rye, arch panel bed) and Kincaid's "Chateau Royale" (panel bed). Would appreciate hearing your experiences with these furniture brands and/or collections.

Price-wise, the Kincaid set is about $1000.00 less than the Durham. Husband likes the Kincaid better, but I think I like the Durham. The biggest frustration is that I cannot look at either collection in person within driving distance. I hate to pay a substantial amount of money for something that I have not seen.

Kincaid - http://kincaidfurniture.com/collection_detail.cfm?cid=168

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Durham, Hudson Falls

Comments (9)

• EliteFurniture
    12 years ago

Durham went out of business not long ago however they have re-opened. I would go with Kincaid. Have sold Kincaid for many years & it is a good product.

• ci2eye
    12 years ago

I have both brands that were recently purchased. I would easily recommend Durham over Kincaid.

Both are solid wood but you have to be careful with Kincaid. Much of their stuff is Made in China as were the pieces I purchased. Had I known they were Chinese I would not have purchased them. Now, their website tells which products are imported and which are domestically sourced so buyers can tell in advance.

Needless to say, my Chinese Kincaid had terrible quality lapses that required complete replacement. It is hard to believe there is anything akin to 'Quality Control' in China or else they would've never been shipped. The replacement pieces were much better though still not perfect.

Durham, on the other hand, had outstanding quality and a beautiful finish. The workmanship is flawless and Durham is Made in Canada of Canadian Maple.

Durham is much preferable to me.

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

We have a Kincaid set and we love it. We have the Gathering House collection which is an Arts and Crafts look. The only issue we have had is the wood rails along the side of the bed are not solid wood but have a laminated outer surface and the wood has delaminated. We keep meaning to call Kincaid if we can find their customer service number. We are in the market for another bedroom set for another room in our house. We did see a bedroom product we really loved. I thought they had some of the best looking sets we have seen. You might want to check them out. It is called Cresent Furniture. It is solid wood with a lot of good looks similar to what you might see at some of the big catalog companies but in my opinion more well made. As far as Durham I am not familiar with them but if they are made in Canada and solid Maple they would be worth checking out. As far as Durham going out of business a lot of Canadian companies, especially in the furniture industry, met this fate when their dollar rose to the US dollar but it sounds like they are back on track.

• francypants
    12 years ago

I bought some Kincaid bedroom furniture, lately. Made sure it was one of their lines made in the USA. I was really disappointed that the drawers don't come all the way out. I hate that feature and it's usually found in inferior furniture.

• maximus123
    12 years ago

i think you should go with Kincaid, they got very new variety of furnitures....

• Linda Torrence
    7 years ago

My decorator bought some Kincaid bedroom furniture and being that it's made out of soft wood, she has had to have to top refinished and said she would never buy it again. You have to be so careful with it. I wish I had known this before I bought my dining room table along with my dinette set for my kitchen. I don't know what bedroom furniture I will buy, still looking.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    7 years ago

Well Kincaid has closed all their US manufacturing since Lazboy purchased them. Now its all imported so could be anytype of wood. Got to do your homework as their are some imported pieces using a harder wood, acacia for one.

• Linda Torrence
    7 years ago

Thanks for the update. It seems so hard now to find really good furniture for the home. I like a combination of real wood and veneer but with a very nice finish. Made in the USA is a plus. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks everyone.