Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flo007

W. Schillig - Any quality issues with pieces from China?

flo007
14 years ago

We fell in love with a leather sectional (Riondo) from W.Schillig but to be disappointed to learn that W.Schillig furniture was made in China. We found this post (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/furniture/msg021956111780.html) and would like to know if anybody else has had any other quality issues with pieces manufactured in China. We were told by a sales rep that the skins were from Europe/South Africa and the machinery was from German. These made us feel a bit better but we still would like to do some more research.

Thank you so much.

Comments (18)

• Karen Eagle
    14 years ago

We have our sectional since July 2009 and are very happy with it. No problems at all.

• flo007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your reply. We have also done quite extensive searches on the internet and have not found any major complaints.

• upholsteryexpert
    14 years ago

Furniture made in China is almost like furniture made in the USA. There are lower end and upper end companies in both countries but in the USA they aren't usually in the same factory. In China the quality is dictated by the company purchasing the furniture. To keep the quality standard high the companies need to inspect in China and then again once it arrives in their warehouse (by a spot inspection). A spot inspection is opening up x number of pieces from each container and looking for tailoring issues and travel problems. If they open a couple of each type( sofa, chair & ottoman) an don't have any issues then the whole load is likely to be in good shape. If they have any issues then it is usually best to open all of that style just to make sure everything is in good shape (both companies I've worked for has done this inspection method). Once a company has achieved the quality standard they want in a Chinese factory they will have their on Chinese inspectors go into the factory and inspect the product before they are packaged for shipment.
    In the USA the company is usually low end or high end or somewhere in between but not all. They most likely have and inspection process throughout the factory plus most manufactures want each employee to be an inspector( if you see something wrong then tell someone). They usually start the inspection after the cover is sewn, then again after the insides of the piece is upholstered and then again after the outsides of the piece is applied (some companies do more and some do less inspections throughout the process).
    Now if you ever want to re-upholster your piece of made in China upholstered furniture this is a totally different issue. The Chinese make their frames very different than USA companies (unless the purchasing company requires them to make the frame different) they make the frames in parts. The seat section and the back section are either built together like an L or they are made separate and then upholstered and screwed or bolted together then arms usually bolt or screw to the body. The Chinese method isn't bad it is just different than what the American re-upholsterer is accustom to. But you need to think about this incase you ever what to recover it. You should look the piece over thoroughly before accepting it. You should also know that the imported furniture has most likely been stored on is side for a while and may have flat spots that should come out with heat and/or time. You should note these issues with your retailer with the option of replacing the piece if they don't come out.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Our sofa (purchase/issues/their resolution) is detailed on the thread you linked above. We've had it since June 2008, and it still looks and feels great. We are very happy with it.

• flo007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you... both cat_mom and upholsteryexpert. The info on the inspection process is very informative and definitely helps us to better prepare for the final inspection.

With W. Schillg, we were told by a salesperson that this German company were not simply having an existing Chinese factory made furniture for them but they actually bought a factory. All the machinery, leather, and wood parts are shipped from Germany to the plant in China.

We were skeptical and that's why we're here :). We believe that the info from existing customers who actually own their furniture is most likely to be more reliable than the info from a salesperson.

Thanks again. This forum is great!!

• jedra374_comcast_net
    13 years ago

just received our schillig sofa the placidity with incliner, the issue we had was the measurement of depth which was off by 3",and also made in china, we're were dissapointed by this because made in china is of questionalble quality and craftmanship, anyone hads any similar complaints or issues please respond

• juliaft
    11 years ago

I purchased a schillig sectional in dec. 2011 based on the floor model and months of research. The leather on the floor model was exceptional; the very best. For over 30 minutes, I attempted to mark it, scratch it, hurt it with metal utensil throughout the entire piece, with zero success. I had been looking for the perfect sectional for three years, as I wanted it to LAST for years, not months. I inspected this floor model to the point that the salesman was annoyed, which did not bother me. I turned it upside down and checked the "guts" actually gently removing the fabric to see the wood, springs, construction. I borrowed the leather sample from the store and left. I was impressed, which takes a lot for me. I researched W. Schillig website, which said all their furniture was German made in Germany. Nothing about China. I ordered the sectional 51277 and it was delivered in December, 2011. The sectional that I received was NOT the same quality as the store floor sample! I have been dealing with this "bait & switch" issue 14 months. The leather on my couch is very thin throughout. The leather is slipping everywhere. The leather is also dissentigrating in places. The foam is flat with ZERO resiliency...like sitting on wood. Even the structure is falling apart. The piece looks like I got it from a curbside dump. We can't sit on it because it is so uncomfortable. I measured the depth of the seat cushions and they are 3" shorter on my sectional. During the holidays, my sister asked where the new couch was! I have had the store and the rep from Schillig inspect the piece in Jan, 2012, and they assured me that this problem would be resolved to my satisfaction. I waited a few weeks and contacted the store again and a new store manager inspected it in Sept, 2012 and acted like he didn't see the problems I was describing, to which I responded that a two year old could see the problems, so we were done. I hired a leather upholstery company to inspect and they issued their stern findings to the company. No response. I now have contacted an attorney. This sectional was $5,025.00 and I purchased an extended warranty which at this point is worthless. I recently discovered that Schillig has a dirty little secret, China. I am convinced that my sectional was made in China, and the floor sample was not. I still have the floor sample leather piece...glad I kept it.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

Sorry about all your problems, but have you tried contacting W. Schillig directly? I believe David Stewart is vice president of sales and operations and Eric Stomberger is their president. Their phone # is 336-884-0286. Hope you can resolve the issues.

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

As a rule it is preferable to purchase US made upholstery due to the generally higer construction standards found here. One of the issue with the product from China is lack of regulation and oversight found within many of the manufacturers in China. That's not to say there are not well made products made in China.

• beachguysb
    8 years ago

I am very sensitive to off-gassing and chemical smells. I wonder if these Chinese assembled couches have the same strict environmental standards as Europe? And do they have fire retardant, which for sure would be bad.

• HU-764237923
    4 years ago

HI,

I live in Taipei. I’m very upset with W.SCHILIIG ! I would not recommend any person to buy W.SCHILLIG products. Few months ago (Jan 2019), I spent about US $7000 to order one 3-seat W.SCHILLIG Intermezzo (P65) sofa at a local (a Taipei agent) department as those sofa at showcase booth are good and every sofa has a sew-in label says “Made In Germany” & “W.SCHILLIG”, so it won’t be a so-called ‘copied’ sofa. This is one of the reason I placed the order. But when I got my sofa delivered (July 2019), it smells weird and the quality is not as those I saw at the showcase booth (see photos below)!

I had several discussion/meetings with local agent and brought my questions and photos to them and doubt is my sofa really “Made in Germany” or it’s a ‘copied version?? They could not provide any convincing date to me. The sofa I got does not even has any label indicating it’s “Made in Germany, No “W.SCHILLIG” either!! No one can tell where this sofa comes from!

Recently, I got a letter (see below photo) from a W.SCHILLIG VP. His letter made me really disappointed and upset. He confirms me my sofa is absolutely made in Germany because W.SCHILLIG did ship one P65 sofa to the agent. That’s it?? He also says there is a label says “Made in Europe” (that’s the leather) and “Germany is a part of Europe, so no difference)!!!! I spend US $7000 for a sofa for Made in Germany, not Made in Europe ! I have no idea why Germany equal to Europe??

Because I was very upset, I sent the leather sample (see below, pls check if this is your stuff!) which I received together with the sofa to one of my country’s(Taiwan) famous test lab and do a test according to Taiwan national standard (CNS11677: Furniture Safety requirements and test hazardous substance of furniture surface).

This is leather sample I sent for test

From the report (see below photo), there is one item:

Leaching concentration of chromium (Cr) exceeds our national standard about 10X !! (697 mg/Kg, the spec. is less than 60 mg/Km)!!

The sofa I got is a bad. I asked W.SCHILLIG to check the info I provided to see if this is really their product. Well, they said yes. It’s really weird! Just don’t touch this company's product, then you won’t have the same headache I have.

1. Below is the report. The red circle on page 2 says

Leaching concentration of chromium (Cr) exceeds our national standard about 10X !! (697 mg/Kg, the spec. is less than 60 mg/Km)!!

2. This is letter I got from a W.SCHILIIG VP. Let me tell you, no any consumer is able to tell where the sofa is manufactured and which company manufacture it. This is a great news for any guy who do the ‘copy’ version of furniture ! They do not claim their products are fake but ‘copy version’. I’m not sure if my sofa came from W.SCHEILLIG, but it seems your VP & CFO insist this bad thing came from you !!

3. These are some of the photos I provided to ask W.SCHILLIG folks to check if the sofa I got came from them.

• joanne126
    4 years ago

We have sold their product for many years and very happy with the quality. If customers were not happy they would have complained. I would feel confident buying their product. These days, many companies say made in Italy. The word on the street is that they ship the items to be assembled in China and then ship back to Italy to go to the US. ANY product being shipped from Italy MUST SAY made in Italy. Schillig made in China or Germany? Really made in Italy? Who really knows. The truth is buy from a reputable local company who stands by the products they sell along with working with the vendor for your protection. We all hope people would be honest, customers and businesses alike!

• Alario Achermann
    2 years ago

We bought a schillig leather sectional 6 years ago. No complaints until now.

I noticed the frame is sagging where we sit most often.

The office of schillig said these sofas need adjustments every few years and we need to find someone to do this for us!

We paid 11,000.00!

So where do I go from here?

The store we bought it from closed!

• HU-318557942
    2 years ago

Where are you located? Schillig should be giving you names of companies in your area or nearby to help.

Please shoot me an email joanne@citischemes.com and I will see how I can help you

• HU-826475642
    2 years ago

Hi i have a schillig power leather sectional can anyone recommend an authorized schillig repar. The store we purchased it from on long island is closed

• Susan Weinstein
    2 years ago

We purchased our W. Schillig sectional sofa about 9 years ago from Scan Design, a reputable contemporary furniture retailer in Florida. We upgraded our leather package and were pleased with it until last year. We noticed that the black batting/underlining was falling apart. We turned the sofa over and the black fabric disintegrated in our hands. We replaced it and now the other sectional pieces have crumbled as well. However, the powder is all over our area rug and floor. We called Scan Design to ask if they could do anything about it? They responded that they do not do repairs. Very disappointed!!

In fact, everything that we purchased (leather sectional and 8 leather dining chairs) from Scan Design has been inferior. We were never told that the leather sofa and chairs were made in China. They led us to believe that they were made in Europe. We paid a substantial amount for our upgraded leather sofa and eight leather dining chairs. That said, we are very disappointed in Scan Design and in Chinese quality. Never again!

• Paul Kurtz
    last year

My acuator that controls the chair keeps failing. I think cheap electronics in a $8K couch.