Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eam44

Abbyson Living Leather Sectional cushion failure

eam44
9 years ago

Hi all. I am most often over in the Kitchen forum, but I have a problem that might need your expertise over here.

I bought a leather sectional sofa made by Abbyson Living two years ago. It isn't 100% my style, but I was won over by the leather quality and the price (retail is over 2K, I bought it for about half off). It has attached cushions that have compressed considerably over this short period of time (I'm 130 lbs dripping wet after Thanksgiving dinner with my niece in my arms) so that the leather is now quite creased. Some of those creases are about to tear.

I've called upholsterers and they tell me it'll cost more to re-stuff the sofa than it's worth. I don't want to send this to the landfill just yet. Can anyone offer input into how I might DIY this? I found one video online (link below) that shows how to remove the sofa back to access and replace cushions. It's made by a different company, but the process must be similar, right?

For cushions I was thinking latex. If I do this i don't want to ever have to do this again. Any input? Has anyone here re-stuffed a sofa with attached cusions?

Thanks for your help.

Link to video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jIoUwS2Gil8

Comments (8)

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    9 years ago

Having myself been doing re-upholstery for more than 30 years, I would take their advice. Most likely the other parts, frame/springs/seats etc is not worthy of the latex investment.

• bobismyuncle
    9 years ago

Another vote for cutting your losses and learning from the experience with cheap furniture.

• clt3
    9 years ago

I agree, cut your losses. I know $1000 seems like a lot of money, but for a leather sectional that will not get you a quality product.

• eam44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input. Would it be worth stuffing with some other kind of foam?

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

If the cushions are readily opened you could experiment with it. Unless you like sewing I would not cut open a cushion even from the underneath to experiment.

Thanks for the review. What was the company's warranty? 1 year soft parts five year frame?

Curious, what state do you live in? On average we have better luck with the cheap mass produced leather products we sell here in humid Missouri. About every third year we seem to sell one that dries up and comes apart or loses its coloring although in the latter case I suspect hair products or auto solvents on jeans.

FWIW I have a leather / leather match sofa & love in the living room which has put up well with my 230lb self and my climbing 4 year old. Your expectations are not unrealistic that it should last longer.

• eam44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks tornado. I don't plan to open the cushions at the seams, but to remove the back of the couch and access them by cutting the dust cover. When restuffed I would re-staple the dust cover as in the video, then reassemble. That's the plan anyway...

The warranty doesn't apply. Even though I bought it new from abbyson living, I bought it from their clearance center "as is". There were some scratches on the nail heads. Who knew the cushions were bad. I live in Ohio and had this shipped from California.

It's good to know my expectations are realistic. Now the question is, do I try to fix it? I have to try, right? Do I remove old cusions and replace with new? Do Leave the old and stuff in additional Dacron covered foam? If this couch doesn't deserve latex, what foam do I use? If i do this, I don't want to have to re-do this.

• eam44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

By the way, this image shows the construction/components of the sectional.