Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenzo_gw

To refinish vintage Ethan Allen or not?

kenzo
10 years ago

Hi All - my name is JT I have not posted in GW for awhile - although always a reference for my attempts at growing things :)

I know there are lots of knowledgeable people here that can maybe help me out

I recently scored a 1960s vintage solid maple Ethan Allen dining table - it has two inset leaves and two drop leaves it is identical to this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETHAN-ALLEN-Heirloom-Nutmeg-Maple-Spoonfoot-Drop-Leaf-Extension-Table-10-6073-/390719892857?pt=US_Tables&hash=item5af8b86d79

except I paid $50 :) it is in excellent condition except for one ugly deep scratch on one leaf which I am sure can be polished and buffed to be concealed.

I could not pass on this table for the price - solid maple - no veneer, a really well functioning pull system. It will replace a more stylish but lower quality danish/modern style gate-leg that has nice lines but is a bit worn and rickety.

Here's the rub.... this table is a little bit stuffy for my style.

I would like to refinish it, with a more matte finish (it is soo sihny and 60's) and perhaps paint or whitewash the legs.

Am I crazy to do this? Will I ruin the piece? Or is it such a mass produced item that despite its mid/high end nature that there is no point worrying about its future value?

I did only pay $50 so in any case I think I got a score on such a well constructed and functional table in any case but I don't want to spend money and effort just to ruin it. Would I be better off just getting the gouge buffed out and living with the 60s look? Or can I go ahead and update it's look without regrets?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz