Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sofa brands comparable to Pearson?

Posted by therenothere (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 26, 11 at 10:05

I've had to buy a number of sofas over the past several months after moving, and really liked the Pearson sofas we ended up with for a sitting room - one is a chaise (2373) and the other has roll arms (2464 with all the trim). We got them through a sample sale and decided to custom order another Pearson sofa for the family room, which didn't go so well.

After a number of issues with our local retailer, when it finally arrived after 4 months there was a significant tear in the fabric. Not to mention the fact that the contrast welting we had asked for was crooked, and the upholstery was lumpy. It was also missing the cushion clips I saw on the previously purchased sofas.

So now I have to start over for that room and am a little wary of ordering from them again given that the quality has gone downhill, but their prices haven't. Is there another brand you'd recommend I consider? What I liked about the Pearson sofas was the emphasis on structure, comfort (LOVE the down option), and textiles.

We have also had Precedent, CB2, Bernhardt, and Mitchell + Gold upholstery and they all have their merits but for this family room I'd like something that will last us a long time despite daily use.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sofa brands comparable to Pearson?

Frame, spring and cushion construction plays a significant part in how well an upholstery piece will stand up to everyday use. But none more than the choice of material, so your first decision would be to determine this. Their are some tough fabrics/nonwovens and leathers/vinyl to choose from, however their is always compromises that will be made between; looks, comfort and durability. Match the cover material to how you will use the sofa and your expectations. Except maybe for Precedent line, the others you mentioned have varying levels of construction, and as with many other manufacturers you need to know exactly how the pacific sofa your looking at is constructed. Only deal with retailers and or manufacturers than will give this information out freely, and guarantee that information is correct.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here