Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Upholsters

cfmuehling
14 years ago

Hi all!

I've read with interest the debates on reupholstering. Bottom line for me is that I have two chairs I want to recover. Period. Ha!

My problem is finding someone to do it. Major stores do want millions, whereas I am not sure how to find someone smaller, hopefully a small business/family shop. I was hoping in the DC/Annapolis, even Bethesda/Rockville area someone might have a recommendation. I would much rather have a word-of-mouth recommendation than read something someone can post themselves online.

Suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks,

Christine

Comments (5)

• laura11106
    14 years ago

If you can get down to North Carolina there are lots of out-of-work upholsterers from top name companies who are now doing reupholstery at about half the cost of the MD-DC area. Let me know if you want some names.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well....
    It's worth looking into. I want to do 2 chairs that have buttons on the back and seat. Is that tufted?
    Thanks. I appreciate it.
    Christine

• denali2007
    14 years ago

If you would come out a little farther into VA, I can highly recommend Chantilly Upholsterers. I have had my 1979 Flexsteel Sofa and Loveseat done by him. He does beautiful work. He has a small shop and only keeps a few pieces that are done there. You can tell by looking what wonderful work he does. My former neighbor wanted some work done and her DH is very particular. He wanted a chair reuphostered that was his mother's. They ended up having a couch and chair done. He even suggested that the arms of the chair be made fuller and did that for them. They moved to PA and brought another chair down here for him to do. He was more reasonable than others in our area. He works by himself. If you call him ,he is hard to understand just listen carfully. He is located at 14220 Sullyfied Circle in Chantilly VA. It's an easy drive down 66 to the Fairfax County Pkwy, then route 50. The phone number is 703 378 0544. Hope that helps.

• bobismyuncle
    14 years ago

I have known Stacey for about 5 years in a professional organization and greatly respect his skills. He's just moved to VA from upstate NY where he has been an upholsterer since 1971.

Barnard's Upholstery & Auto Trim Email
    Stacey Barnard
    24 Tallwood Trail
    Palmyra, Virginia 22963
    434-591-4560

• upholsteryexpert
    14 years ago

Even though there are a lot of great upholsterers in NC out of work that doesn't mean that they can handle the whole re-upholstering project from beginning to end. There are many things that can be involved in re-upholstering a piece from frame repairs, spring-up issues, wood re-finishing, proper cutting and application of VERY EXPENSIVE fabrics and leathers then to possess the ability to give you the quality that you are expecting in all of these areas. Just because the person is an upholsterer with a high-end company it doesn't mean that they know how to cut the fabrics to flow match, line-up, unbalanced stripe or plaid. You need to make sure the re-upholstery shop has knowledge of all aspects just in case there are unforeseen problems. I have had a re-upholstery shop for almost 25 years (not looking for work) and you wouldn't believe some of the pieces that I've recovered for people that their upholsterer had messed up. Also make sure that the upholsterer will tear your pieces down replacing anything that needs to be replaced including inner foam if needed. I have torn down so many pieces that other upholsterers have not taken the previous covers off (this saves them time and allows them to make more $$$$$), as many as 4 covers on a chair. Also ask for a time frame for the turn around on your furniture. I have heard nightmares about people leaving their furniture at a re-upholsterer for over a year. I have been as far as 3 to 4 months behind but I always tell the customer that, and I never pick-up their furniture until I am ready to start working on it. I'm not giving you any references because it would be way to far to travel and I think you will get several recommendations from this forum that will be close to you, I just wanted you to know that there are some wonderful craftsman out there but there are a lot more rag stretchers, and you shouldn't just jump into it without asking questions!!!