Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Decorating a 60s/70's style house

Posted by diyermad (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 1, 11 at 5:45

I'm really keen on the shabby chic sort of look for my new lounge but our new house is going to be 60's/70's style without much character - do you think this look would work or am I best sticking to a more modern look?

We will have a traditional multi fuel stove in there, but the windows/patio doors etc are all modern and the rest if the house is characterless.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Decorating a 60s/70's style house

We have lived in our 1960s ranch house for 23 years now, and little by little, we have come to appreciate its design integrity. So, first I would recommend that you look at the house more closely. Is it really lacking character, or is it just not your personal style? Are the rooms small? Are the windows ugly? Or is the house just simple in its form and appointments? Houses from the 60s often have long and lean lines which can provide a spacious canvas. In any event, I wouldn't abandon your love of shabby chic, but I would think of it as an accent to a more minimalist approach. For example, on a simply lined couch, you could use throw pillows made from a shabby chic fabric you adore. You could then pick up some of the colors in those pillows in some vases that are more authentic to the house's era. I think if you don't overdo it, you can definitely incorporate some of the design that makes you feel good but still have it reflect the house's era. You don't really indicate how much you will be doing to the house. Are you renovating, replacing windows, adding on, etc. or just decorating?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here