Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whisperingwillow_gw

Pottery Barn coffee table vs World Market

whisperingwillow
11 years ago

So after many months of trying to find a coffee table I want, I found two contenders. The hastings coffee table by Pottery Barn and the Youkoso coffee table by World Market. Both are very close in looks but the table from World Market is cheaper.

I love PB but have never bought any furniture from them. I have seen mixed reviews and not sure if its worth the extra cost. I do like the looks of the PB table more because of the legs and dims but I cant dismiss that the coffee table from World Market is very similar and currently on sale making it almost 250 dollars cheaper than PB (this would give me more money for other decor items, hooray). I do sometimes tend to settle because of price though. I dont want to buy the cheaper version and end up thinking I should have initially got what I really wanted. This bargain hunter is torn.

Is PB worth the extra cost?

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/hastings-reclaimed-wood-rectangular-coffee-table/?pkey=ccoffee-side-console-tables&cm_src=coffee-side-console-tables::NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/youkoso-coffee-table.do?&from=fn

Comments (9)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

The Pottery Barn table states that it's made from elm -- that's a beautiful wood and getting increasingly rare. World Market just says "hardwood," which could be anything. The base on the PB also looks a little sturdier and less DIY.

I haven't bought anything major from PB recently, but have been very pleased with what I've bought in the past. If you are planning on keeping this for more than a few years, PB might be the better bargain.

Have you seen them both in person?

• whisperingwillow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the replies. So I drove an hour and half to a world market store to check out the table in person. Unfortunately where I live, its a smaller metro area and the furniture stores around here cater to the masses which is mostly "safe" and "usual" designs. Anyway, I was disappointed to find out that this particular table at World Market is now considered a special order item. They wont sell displays. Due to the holidays, it will take almost a month to get it. The table in person at World Market is very heavy and sturdy. BUT there are the two large metal pieces that stretch across the top and in two places it is lifted. It is intentional as each photo (consumer and store) show this lift on every table. Im not crazy about that. This is one of the two major differences between the two tables. The legs and these metal straps.

Some have complained the table comes with a oil smeared all over the table and requires a good washing before you can even attempt to assemble it. Sounds yucky. The PB table said the table splits but PB sent out release stating the construction of the table has been changed and cracking no longer occurs.

The Pottery Barn table I have not seen in person. I have two PB stores within 2 hrs driving distance, each in a different direction. I have been to the one store and they did not have one on display. The store can order it for me and it would take a week. Normally, tables I chose are more traditional but something about this table really caught my eye. Im just concerned that I may tire of it after a couple of years.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

I would also worry about the studs on the Pottery Barn table become a bother after a while, especially when people are putting down coffee tables and glasses. It is a lovely piece, but if you're not really sure about it, you might want to take a break to ponder whether this is the way you want to go.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

So, having just posted that you should wait, I opened my email this morning to find a 20% off coupon from Pottery Barn! If this makes a difference in your decision and you did not get this coupon yourself, please let me know.

• whisperingwillow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No way! Really? I did not get one :(

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

So, having just posted that you should wait, I opened my email this morning to find a 20% off coupon from Pottery Barn! If this makes a difference in your decision and you did not get this coupon yourself, please let me know.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Sorry about the duplicate post. I just sent you an email.

• whisperingwillow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! That was really thoughtful!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH