Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a Sit-On-The-Floor Dining/Coffee table

Posted by andalee (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 24, 09 at 23:53

We're about to downsize drastically (long story--it's a good thing), and I'm trying to find a way to get my hands on a dining table that's coffee table height, like the ones you find in authentic asian restaurants. We'd love a round one, at least 4' across, but a rectangular or square one would work, too. (Again, at least 4' on the shortest side.) DH and I have five children, and we're going to call on his time spent living in Korea to help us design, furnish, and inhabit this small space. (The living/dining/kitchen area is going to be no more than about 12' x 24, so we'll either be eating in the kitchen, or hanging out in the dining room. ;o)

We're handy, but I'd rather get a complete table. If I've got to build/cobble something together, I'm sure I could find things locally.

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a Sit-On-The-Floor Dining/Coffee table

Well I could build you one but shipping would be prohibitive. Have you considered finding a 'normal' height table with legs that would lend themselves to cutting shorter?

What sort of tools do you have access to? It really isn't that difficult. Often all one needs is a circular saw with a good sharp blade, and put one layer of masking tape on the cutline, both of which will give you a splinter free cut. A 40 tooth blade preferably, at least 24 teeth.
I say one later because more than that can gum up the sawblade and lead to the edge splintering.

A Tablesaw would be better, if ya have access to one.
If you find a suitable table and tell me what tools you have access to, I could be a bit more specific.

o

Thanks so much for the info, Ron. I did wonder about that, but wasn't sure how to go about it. We've got a good circular saw, a jigsaw, a nail gun and drill. My dad's got a drill press, but nothing else shop-wise.

I'll keep my eyes open for a suitable table, and post back when I've got an update.

Thanks again!

o

I regularly cut down tables and chairs to a lower height. I find a good pull saw is the tool to use. I can cut all four legs in just a couple of minutes and have it sit perfectly level. I would not begin to try this with a power saw of any type. Too much risk of things going bad much too fast.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shark Saw

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here