Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smilesnsmarts

Anyone heard of Leather & More in Hickory, NC?

smilesnsmarts
9 years ago

Planning to buy a leather sofa/love seat from Leather & More in Hickory (Hickory Furniture Mart). Quality looks good & so does price. I can't find ANY reviews & almost no info on them other than bbb.org (A+ since 5/2014). Anyone have experience with them or know of them?

Comments (7)

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

I have not heard o them. Check out their furniture and study how it is made so that you cna make an informed judgement.

• davidbooher
    9 years ago

I seen your other post regarding CCL and also Legacy. Don't throw away your money on a legacy sofa. I had one 8 yrs ago and it didn't last. When it was time to replace it, I found leather and more. They do carry the line, but will try to sell you on CCL. I was told that legacy was having problems with del. times and didn't want to wait 3-4 months. I purchased a sofa from Leather and More (made by CCL) and just love it. My salesperson was Ryan. He was very nice. If you need more answers, ask for Jason. He is one of the owners. He can answer just about any question about leather for you....

• smilesnsmarts
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@freethinker99 - what are your thoughts on Vanguard vs Wesley Hall? I'm looking for a deep seat Inside depth of 23" & high height on back 37"+...got a quote on Vangaurd Gutherly (American bungalow collection L648). Maple, 8-way hand tied, spring down cushions, custom program. I also got a very similar quote in Welsey Hall L8196-93 (deeper seat, std so custom not necessary, but comfort down cushion vs spring down). Haven't looked at their leather samples yet, but looking for dark chocolate aniline.

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

Smiles in my opinion both companies make an excellent product. Just confirm the item you are buying is made to their best standard. For example Vanguard uses both 5/4 solid hardwood frames and hardwood plywood frames.

As far as their Comfort Down Cushion I am not sure what is in the cushion, for example what type of foam is used, what is the density, type of foam and the softness or firmness of the foam (IFD), what type of wrap.

As far as spring down it is a very durable cushion. Preferably the foam used to wrap the fiber which wraps the springs would be a high quality foam such as Ultracel foam. Then what is the outside wrap, all down and feathers, down feathers and fiber (50% fiber and 50% down/feathers). I prefer down, feathers and fiber as I think all down and feathers in a 75%/25% mix sits hard and pancakes out to the sides.

Some people like spring down and some don't. It does have a break in period of about a month. The sit could be described as like an elevator sinking through the layers and then rebounding as you get off the sofa with a full appearance.

Check the tailoring of both and I would say they are both good. As far as leather I prefer full aniline dyed from a high quality source. I think it is worth spending more for the leather and not saving money here.

• smilesnsmarts
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great points - thanks Freethinker! I'm struggling with going full aniline (my preference) vs semi aniline as these pieces will get heavy use from kids (no food/ drink allowed but heavy use). Is there a product or suggestion to help blend out scratches, normal wear & tear, etc?

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

Quite frankly most stores would say semi aniline which I would disagree with. Semi aniline is more resistant to scratches but when it does scratch it is scratched and pretty much impossible to repair yourself and in my opinion easily abrades.

I would choose a full aninline wax pull up leather where scratches rub out. Condition it once or twice a year with a wax revitalizing condtioner. Furthermore the wax pull ups look distressed so that marks from kids and pets just look natural. A full aninline will fade so you need shades or some sort when the sun is bright.

• emilyexida
    5 years ago

DON"T SHOP HERE. The salesman sold us a leather that was completely inappropriate for a home with animals even after i asked him for one that would work with dogs. He sold me an aniline + leather that shows every scratch. A distressed leather or recovery leather would be much better. Anyway, the warranty was supposed to cover a replacement couch if we weren't satisfied but they are refusing to honor their warranty. Also, the guy was just rude.