Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redmonkey_gw

American Heritage Sectional

redmonkey
11 years ago

I have been looking for leather sectionals. Recently I came across Legacy which had a custom program--select arms, legs, etc. At another store, I saw the exact same program (same take home sheet with same options, dimensions, etc) however there was a sticker over the name and the line was now called American Heritage. There are 2 differences between these two lines: Legacy is made in Canada and American Heritage is made in the USA; and Legacy is foam cushions, whereas American Heritage is down. I haven't been able to find anything online about American Heritage. Does anyone know anything about this brand? Is it just Legacy rebranded?

Comments (8)

• rikmeister
    11 years ago

i too am interested in American Heritage brand and would like others opinions on it.

• TashaW
    11 years ago

Yes, it seems to be rebranded Lagacy, which is pretty reliable company according to some customer reviews that I found here http://legacy-furniture.pissedconsumer.com/all-honor-and-respect-to-legacy-20121103356429.html.

• Bluewaterrocket
    11 years ago

I too had a question about this as well. I purchased a Legacy Leather sectional about 15 years ago - loved it. Durable, no problems, my friends loved it as well. House burned down a few months ago and I'm rebuilding - I started looking for Legacy Leather dealers here in Fl, but was having a hard time. Came across American Heritage Leather on the web and their pictures were identical to the Legacy Leather pictures. I wrote to Legacy Leather and asked about their relationship with American Heritage Leather, Here is their response...

"Legacy Leather is a manufacturer who supplies product to traditional, "brick & mortar" retailers and in some cases e-retailers (internet based sellers) who then sell to the consumers.

American Heritage is an e-retailer who is supplied by various manufacturers such as Legacy Leather. Some of what you are seeing on the American Heritage web site may be made by Legacy Leather under a different collection name."

• PRO
    LeatherShoppes
    8 years ago

Sorry, all the posts above are wrong, American Heritage is a private label product for LeatherShoppes.com, it is built completely different than Legacy leather was. I should know, as I am the owner. American Heritage is made in North Carolina. Legacy leather is/was a Canadian brand built in Ontario Canada. It was built with "S" spring and drop in coil. They never built it 8-way hand tied/steel banded frames like American Heritage is. With that said,it was a decent product as we carried that brand for many years before they went bankrupt. Legacy is under different ownership under Campio group now and would be a middle on our ranking chart. Top brands in Leather . What might be confusing is some of the photography you find online as many styles are copied in the industry. If you have additional questions feel free to email me at info@leathershoppes.com.

• rebeccameza
    8 years ago

Hello Leather Shoppes I hope you see this post! We love what we have seen and read on your website about the American Heritage Lassiter sectional but are a bit gun shy about making such an investment without seeing and sitting on the product. I know you will probably say no but on the off chance that you won't, could you put us In Contact with one of your central California customers so that we can talk to them about and perhaps even visit one of your sofas??? With their permission of course. I hope you see this!

• PRO
    LeatherShoppes
    8 years ago

Thank you for your email,

We do sell many customers in Ca. although I am not sure if I could ask one of them to allow someone in there home. You might try contacting us thru email from our website and maybe I can advise you.

• PRO
    Wellington's Fine Leather Furniture
    8 years ago

Perhaps you could measure furniture that you have in your
    home now that fits you well and compare the dimensions inside as well as
    outside to judge the size and fit you will need. Leather swatches should also be sent to you to
    choose the right leather color and type for your lifestyle if you are not able
    to find something you like locally.

In today’s marketplace there are many leather furniture
    manufactures that copy each other’s styles and many online sites that actually
    take photography from other folk’s sites and use on their site and call it
    their own product name or private label.
    They (the consumers) see the same photo but see a difference in price
    because often times low end lines use a different manufacturing process than
    the higher end companies. Folks that are
    not in or familiar with the industry, are unaware of these major differences in
    quality and I can see how this can become confusing for consumers because there
    is such a large difference in price.

There is a big box chain company that uses many of the same
    names as manufactures like Classic Leather and Bradington Young but the
    products they are offering are made much cheaper. They remove the 8-way hand-tie and replace it
    with sinus springs and use split hides on the side, rather than using top grain
    cowhide on the entire piece. So unless
    the customer asks all the right questions they just assume it is the same. When actually the photo looks like a Mercedes
    but under the hood, it’s not.

Buying national name brands online is easier than buying a
    stores brand or private label for some folks.
    At least with a national name brand you are able to kick the tires so to
    speak. Although look at it this way, we
    buy generic drugs for the same results with tremendous savings. Don’t get me wrong, not all private labels
    are a bargain. Just be sure you do your homework and don’t be afraid to ask who
    makes the private label for the store.
    You should get a straight answer, there are many companies that make
    name brand furniture that also make private label lines for specialty
    stores. We use several North Carolina
    based companies that make our leather furniture in most price ranges from mid
    to high end. These manufactures products
    are on retail floors in all areas of the country, we just in addition to their
    regular line, have them build exclusive styles for us and use many exclusive
    leathers. By removing the name brand and replacing it with a private label
    should offer a tremendous savings to the consumer if that is how the store chooses to market
    it.

Specialty furniture building is designed to fit all
    lifestyles and body builds that is why there are so many options for lengths
    and depths. Nails or no nails and seat
    cushions from fluffy down to an extra firm seating surface and not to mention hundreds
    of colors and different finishes. Take for instance the “vintage” looking
    leather that looks worn from the beginning.
    This is a great look that has absolutely no protection against any kind
    of spill. An awesome look, but you must
    know everything you drop or spill will remain there as that is just the way
    that type of leather is. Although there
    are new leathers starting to appear that are beyond the old “Brompton Brown” look
    that now have the look without the stress, as these leathers are now cleanable.

Online shopping is not for everyone one but those that do go
    that route can save a lot of time and money when shopping for furniture,
    especially leather furniture.

• Val Eding
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I am shopping for a leather sofa and loveseat. My criteria is that it be made in the USA for a couple of reasons - quality and supporting our businesses. I agree with others who have noted that the frame, cushions, etc are just as important as the leather itself. Educate yourself by viewing some of the resources online. LeatherShoppes is one of the sites that has some great educational material for the novice. They sell American Heritage as well as some other brands.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz