Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fleurdelis05

Taylor King sofas ??

fleurdelis05
15 years ago

We have found a couple Taylor King sofas that we really like. The website thoroughly details the construction of their furniture and it looks like high quality, some opinions would be great. I cannot find any consumer reviews. So I am wondering if thereÂs any feedback, the sales person says this is the type of couch that will last for decades, is that so? The cushions are spring down and the sofas are priced at 2190 and 2899 are these prices reasonable? They are the sales floor models and look to be in great condition. They are both rather large and deep, 87 & 92 inches. If problems come up will the company be responsive? This is allot of money for us and we want lasting quality. I want to thank those on this forum as I have already read many posts and the responses seem thorough and informed.

Comments (42)

• bobismyuncle
    15 years ago

Since no one else has offered an opinion, I'll throw in some anecdotal evidence. I was recently looking for a sofa. I wanted to see Hancock & Moore (since it gets rave reviews here) at one of my clients who carries it. But I wanted fabric and not leather (personal choice). My contact steered me toward Taylor-King as being a good choice, and there was no reason to pay extra for H&M if I was not doing leather. This is a design center that sells to the trade only (designers and other furniture stores).

• furnone
    15 years ago

Taylor King is partially owned by Jack Glasheen, President of Hancock & Moore, and a few other H&M officers. The quality is right up there with H&M. Customer service is excellent.

• john_wc
    15 years ago

Taylor King is excellent. I really like their coil spring design. As for price, those prices sound good. If you want to verify with a deep discounter, you may want to call lexfurniture.com.

• casajakada
    15 years ago

I have a Taylor King sofa in my family room that I bought at Boyle's in NC for $1579 but was quoted anywhere from $2200 to $2650 elsewhere, including lexfurniture, when I originally decided on it. The fabric is middle of the scale as far as grading. It was just what I wanted so I'm thrilled with the price and the quality. It's also very comfortable. We've only had it for six months so I can't comment on durability but from what I've read on here they are reliable. Considering the junk I saw for only a few hundred dollars less at some of the chain retail stores, it was a great deal.

• pokey4_1_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Like you, I'm looking to purchase a Taylor King sofa. I am looking in the Cozy Creations line which maybe more affordable and allows you to pick and choose options like arm and foot styles. The prices in this line are more around $1900, but I live near the MA furniture outlets, so I may be getting a better price. I've been told this is a highend line, better then the Hallagan Sofas we now own which have lasted 10 plus years. I too have been looking for complaints and have yet to see any.

• mypage_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Like you, I'm looking to purchase a Taylor King sofa. I am looking in the Cozy Creations line which maybe more affordable and allows you to pick and choose options like arm and foot styles. The prices in this line are more around $1900, but I live near the MA furniture outlets, so I may be getting a better price. I've been told this is a highend line, better then the Hallagan Sofas we now own which have lasted 10 plus years. I too have been looking for complaints and have yet to see any.

• louisshanks
    13 years ago

Tayor King in a great line. If you are in the $1700 to $2200 price range you better snap it up. Because it wholesale to the retailer for more that that on their top end models.

• papillotage
    9 years ago

Taylor King is wonderful. Mine is nearly 20 years old and it has held up fine. American Leather is great too.

• Annette Parker
    8 years ago

I am about to reupholster a Taylor King sofa that is 20 years old because it is still in perfect condition except for the upholstery because I let my dog sleep on it. I expect it to last at least another 10 to 20 years.

• PRO
    KNL Designs
    8 years ago

We now carry Taylor King!! We are a Design Center in Moore County NC. We sell to the Trade and Retail, but are prices are the same as the big discounters!! Look us up www.villagedesigngroup.com. We carry many other lines like Harden, CR Laine, Thibaut, Scalamandre, Shumacher, etc!!!

• Bela Sethi
    7 years ago

I have a Taylor king sofa

had it for 8 years

it still feels good

being in the sunroom it got faded

i am planning on reupholstering it

originally wanted to sell her it

but did not get the right place

but reupholstering is not cheap either

still confused

any ideas on fabrics that don't fade !

• PRO
    KNL Designs
    7 years ago

all fabrics will fade over time but crypton fabrics by thibaut are wonderful!!!

• peggyboozer37
    6 years ago

Never again! $6800 custom sofa, and it is defective. The upholstery is awful, pillows do not align or fit together, wrinkled at the stitching, corners of skirt do not lay well.

• allmsforme
    6 years ago
    I have ordered several good quality upholstered pieces over the years but the company is getting sloppy. I ordered a recliner (with their fabric) in November and the delays are piling up - they are now saying end of April. Custom anything takes time, I know, but they are very loose with their time frames, which are never accurate. They ALWAYS blame the mills/fabric issues.
    The last couch I received was a mess, I had to have a local upholsterer velcro all of the cushions down so they would stay on and straight.
    Maybe I have terrible luck? Or more likely quality is just decreasing.
  • Lourdes Galdos
    6 years ago

I have had my Taylor King sofa for almost 20 years and it is in perfect shape. The fabric looks new. I do not remember how much I paid for it, but I guess that it was not inexpensive. I do not know if the new TK sofas are being built under the same high quality standards as the old ones did.

• helenjones
    6 years ago

My experience with Taylor King (TK) has been terrible. I hired a designer and she recommended a custom TK sectional with sunbrella material for a sunroom. The small sectional was over $7,000 but guaranteed not to fade or stain. Four weeks after having the sectional, a large faded area appeared on one of the cushions. The designer took the seat cover and gave it to Matt, customer service, TK. About 4 weeks later the seat cover was returned but it was the wrong size. Three months later and I still don't have the seat cushion. Maybe, TK customer service used to be stellar but not anymore. I strongly advise against purchasing TK sofas!

• L M
    5 years ago
    I'm thinking about buying a Taylor King sectional, the Sausalito. I'm actually replacing a brand new Century Cornerstone sectional that came defective. I know TK is part of the Century group somehow but I'm hoping it will be better quality than the Cornerstone. Does anyone have anymore recent experience with TK vs. Century Cornerstone? The last couple recent posts on this thread made me nervous. I'm also very interested in opinions on the various TK cushions. I want a very soft plush feel and I'm not quite sure which cushion upgrade will give me that softness. I'd appreciate any help.
  • bathredo1
    5 years ago

Hi. Anyone else have any problem with the cushion on their corner piece of their TK cozy creations sectional wrinkling terribly? Looks awful compared to rest of couch cushion. Wondering if I should get a firmer core for that piece. Any advice on which cushion cores are best? Would appreciate any comments on cores others have chosen. Will be working on a fix.

• mrsti
    5 years ago

I’m about to purchase a Century cornerstone sectional. I never heard of Century having issues. I have pieces 24 years old and still in excellent shape. I’m reading this because I might do the Taylor King Taylor Made sectional as it fits better in my room. it sounds like your retailer has good customer service.

I really have have issues with cushions wrinkling and fabric pilling. correct me if I’m wrong but I think certain fabrics stretch and cause the rippling you see. i hope someone can clarify.

• PRO
    KNL Designs
    5 years ago

Yes, I believe the fabric you select is very important. What type of fabric is on yout TK sectional bathredo1??? I have been selling Taylor King Since 2008 and have rarely had an issue. If there is an issue their customer service department is fantastic.

mrsti: I would love the opportunity to price either sectional for you? and research the fabrics. Where are you located??

• Cindy Mayo
    5 years ago

Maureen. I too am truly disgusted and disappointed with my TK sofa and the designers Jinx McDonald interiors in Naples.

The issues started with the first cleaning of the sofa. The sofa is white and the cleansing process was a bit wet. The interfacing that covered the cushions was stamped with a water-soluble black ink. When the sofa was cleaned the fabric absorbed the black ink Creating black marks on the cushions. We contacted our designers they contacted Taylor King and the cushion covers were replaced. Nothing was said about replacing the actual filler cushions with the water soluble black markings. A year and a half later the sofa developed brown spots everywhere along the frame. After several cleaning attempts and several investigations by professionals who could possibly tell us what was wrong and what was causing these brown spots it was decided that these brown spots were organic and something that was seeping from the frame. We contacted our designers who have chosen not to deal with us again on the sofa and Taylor King offered to investigate themselves if we shipped this one 120 x 1 20 sofa to them. Taylor King also indicated that if the problem was on there end they would reupholster the sofa for half the labor charges and our own purchase of the material

In addition to these issues I have included photos of this custom made $13000 sofa. The kick plate and the cushions don’t even match up.

this has been an expensive mistake and one that I won’t soon make again. My only problem now is how to replace the sofa.

• yvondag
    4 years ago

Oh dear! @CindyMayo!! That is terrible! I've just been looking at Taylor King sofas and was about to buy until I read this thread! Hope your issues have been resolved!

• PRO
    The KEEPING ROOM
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

"The issues started with the first cleaning of the sofa. The sofa is white and the cleansing process was a bit wet. "

I think this is your issue. As a Taylor King dealer for many years, I rarely run into any issues that are the fault of a manufacturing or a workmanship issue. I'd like to know more about this cleaning and how it was "a bit wet". You are not supposed to ever do this kind of thing on any upholstered sofa, even if marked with a "W" code (washable) its spot cleaning only and not a saturation kind of thing. Using a water-based steam cleaning or anything making fabrics wet is opening up for a whole range of issues including fabric shrinkage, mold and mildew. Then you seem to say you repeated this cleaning process again and again. There is nothing that can ever '"seep" from a sofa that is part of a manufacturing component or process, all woods are kiln-dried. From reading your story this appears to be owner-caused though these repeated cleanings and you have probably ruined the unit, sorry.

As to measurements from the other poster, all units are handmade and the industry standard from all makers is +/- 2" from the published specs, allowing for application of foam variances and the like. If its over 2" then it's a fault, but often consumers are not measuring correctly. One thing that's important to note is that if you are working with a critical measurement, the dealer can specify on a purchase order "Must me not longer than published dimension" or "Seat Height must be as published at 20", that sort of thing. That is noted on the work ticket and the upholsterers will pay attention to that note during production. Sometimes however, the seat is too low for customer's preferences, it happens once in a while. In my store, we order new covers and casings that are made say 2" higher and I will split the cost 50/50 with the customer @ dealer cost to solve the issue.

I have no significant issues with Taylor King or any other maker I carry (Hancock & Moore, Century, Bradington Young, etc) and only carry lines where is there is a manufacturing / workmanship problem we can work with the manufacturer to resolve it.

• yvondag
    4 years ago

@thekeepingroom - thank you! I'm back to considering the Taylor King Cozy Creations sofa program. The showroom floor model which is supposed to be the 84" (82" for English arm) is actually 79". I don't understand why they would not be exacting standards. Also the floor model cushions were inconsistent in firmness. I really love the price point for a Crypton fabric with Taylor King. Is the Cozy Creations program lesser quality in any way?

Thanks for any input!

• PRO
    The KEEPING ROOM
    4 years ago

Cozy is built on the same line as mainline Taylor King, so it's not a lesser line. One thing that confuses clients as well is that when you read a dimensional spec in these "Design Your Own" programs such as Cozy, that dimension is done with the widest arm they offer (roll arm). As you move to other, narrower arms the overall width shrinks, and you can easily miss that. For example, on a roll arm 84" sofa, if we order it with a narrow track arm, it will be 2.5" less per are or 5" overall which would make it 79". So be sure to go over with your selling dealer how your arm choice affects overall dimensions. If your dealer isn't sure (some are not) have them call Customer Service at TK and they can tell them for sure. Then keep in mind the slight variances due to handmade and you should be good to go.

Cushions cores and firmness can vary by type, there are (5) different cores you can specify in TK. I'm a top dealer for Taylor King and as such can offer either the Spring Down or Catalina Down cushions to my customers at no charge vs the standard HR Foam core. Most my customers opt for the Catalina Down and are happy with it.

• yvondag
    4 years ago

@thekeepingroom - thank you so very much! I see only 4 cushion types on TK's website, so I've still got some research/testing out to do. I may be calling you soon:)

• chrisstack
    4 years ago

The KEEPING ROOM- I was going to purchase a TK Cosy Creations sofa, they have the size I need (78”W) but because of this dreadful virus TK’s factory is closed until the end of April.

The past several years there seems to be some negative reviews on TK, should I be having second thoughts? Do they stand behind their products?

During my lifetime I purchased five sofas with no issues. Then I bought a Hallagan sofa, good-looking and comfortable, but poorly made. They tried to fix it four times and it still wasn’t right. It was a nightmare! The store I purchased it from has it now. Hallagan use to have good reviews too.

Apparently you have a lot of dealings with Taylor King and it sounds like you highly recommend them? My understanding is that Century bought TK. is that recent?

One more question, if I go with TK I know the sofa I want. I am looking for a TK fabric, a light beige, a linen look, that is not linen (I don’t like wrinkles, that is why my cushions will have to be foam), cleaning code W or W/S. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

• PRO
    The KEEPING ROOM
    4 years ago

You are correct, the factory is closed at this time (they are making face masks for medical facilities) and hope to open end of the month, however everything is fluid as you would imagine. I don't get complaints from my customers who buy TK, its a solid brand. In fact, I like the bang for the buck they offer and am going to expand my floor models carrying the line as time and space allow. Once in a while I get a feather-leakage complaint from a customer who orders down cushions or in the pillows, and we simply replace those, its not common. Otherwise my customers are happy with the line, though some may wear out the fabric faster than they think it should, however that occurs with every manufacturer. You should get about 8 years of daily use out of good fabric before it may need re-upholstery.

Century does not own Taylor King. Under the Rock House Brands parent company there is Century, Hancock & Moore, Highland House, Jessica Charles, Hickory Chair, Pearson, and Maitland Smith. Each run independently of one another as separate companies. Where the confusion come in is probably that Taylor King is owned by the same group of people who used to own Hancock & Moore / Jessica Charles and the current President of Hancock and Moore is the largest shareholder of Taylor King!

I don't know where you are located, but I have this 78" Cozy on my sales floor, and it arrived just before the factory closure in a fabric you may like. This unit is very nice, I like the way it sits and the fabric has a nice hand to it. My store is in Alexandria VA and the floor model is for sale. It will be 8 to 10 weeks o build any new orders once they re-open the factory.

-Duane Collie

• chrisstack
    4 years ago

Duane,

Thank you for all the info., much appreciate. I‘m just a little confused, why all the complaints?

Unfortunately I’m in New Jersey.

What is the fabric called on this sofa and is that a flat stitch or is that welting? What kind of filling did they use it these cushions? Hard for me to see the details. I believe that is the sofa I am considering.

I would like your email but of course you don’t want to post it here and either do I. Your store is called The KEEPING ROOM?

Thank you.

• PRO
    The KEEPING ROOM
    4 years ago

HA! Every manufacturer line has complaints. You have to use your filters - I find about half of all complaints are not really valid. I've been doing this 35 years now, I don't sell product that comes with issues, it has to pass my inspection and standards, and they are quite high.

New Jersey is an easy ship via www.uship.com, you can put it out for a shipping bid and typically have in a week or so. You will probably see bids at $ 250 to $ 300 for transport.

This one I have on the floor is a K184-38 Cozy /Trackarm / Tapered Leg, finish Brierwood. Fabric is Doolin Mica with contrast pillows in Cela Whisper. No welt trim except at base, Spring Fiberdown Seat Cores (free lifetime replacement, just pay shipping) $ 2,074 at my store, ($ 2,013 with cash/check discount). No NJ Sales Tax.

Two more photos attached.

The Keeping Room - Duane Collie

8405 Richmond Hwy, Ste G

Alexandria VA 22309

tel 703-360-6399

www.keepingroom.com

keepingroom@gmail.com

• dawbers
    3 years ago

I recently was in the market for a new sofa, two chairs and recliner. I was willing to spend enough for high quality furniture. I was decided between Wesley Hall and Taylor King Sofa.

I examined and sat on many sofa from both manufacturers and honestly was not impressed with the Taylor King...the sit was very off and not level. The TK upholstery work was only okay. I did not see that with Wesley Hall and I really like the Wesley Hall when I sat in it. With that - it may just be personal preference. I really researched to find data on both, but it was challenging to find. I do find most storefronts do push TK more, so I am wondering if they receive more money to sell TK. (just a thought).

I did decide on the Wesley Hall McIntosh sofa because I saw it in a store and was able to try it out and really liked it. Interestingly I ended using fabric for the sofa from TK and having pillows made by TK. I recently received the pillows and I have to tell you - I could have done a better job myself and I don't "officially" sew. The pillows are suppose to be 21" square and they measure 23" inches in the middle and anywhere from 21-22" on the ends. Very strange. They look horrible and I will not use. I am currently working with showroom who sold them to see if TK will make good. I have already had to send two sets of pictures, so I am not optimistic. I will be sure to update on the rest of my furniture once it arrives as it relates to finish work and quality.

• chrisstack
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Dawber I am sorry to hear that Taylor King was a disappointment. which is also really bad news for me. I did not get the Taylor king sofa which I ordered 4/5 weeks ago. I am praying for the best, the two sofas I ordered were a disaster and were returned (they were not made by Taylor King) I never heard of Wesley Hall McIntosh. Why didn't Wesley make the pillows since they covered your sofa?

• HU-199713817
    3 years ago

I liked the Taylor King fabric better - i hope your sofas are ok. Keep Me posted. !

• chrisstack
    3 years ago

HU-199713817 I am keeping my fingers crossed. I still have a 4 week wait, I hope it is no longer than that. I will keep u posted.

• PRO
    The KEEPING ROOM
    3 years ago

Taylor King is currently running 10 to 12 weeks build time, they are swamped with orders as are most of the USA upholstery companies. I sell their product, I don't have issues with it (if I did I would no longer be a dealer).

• dawbers
    3 years ago

Good Day! It is interesting as I have found several furniture retailers that rave about Taylor King, but quite frankly I haven't even found it to be the nice when I see there product in the store. The upholstery has been 2nd rate in my opinion. With that - I have to say they did refund me for the pillows and the retailer sided with me - saying that they agreed they were poorly done. I am sure there is many people happy with their product...this is just my experience.

• HU-631886921
    3 years ago

I too am looking into the Santor sofa and loveseat from Taylor King. I went to sit on the different cushion options and cannot decide between the Catalina or Spring Down. I like the Navarro fabric in the Portfolio Line- Level II. I cant decide between the Lapis (dark blue) or the Pewter. Then there are the nail heads, which frame this particular sofa so I want to be careful in the selection.

I need some help:

Cushion selection (spring down or Catalina)?

Fabric Color (Navarro Lapis or Pewter)?

The Navarro colors are 100% Polyester with 100,000 rub durability- they are in the "velvet" category.

Nail head color (Black 1/2 inch or Pewter)?

• PRO
    The KEEPING ROOM
    3 years ago

Honestly, its a Princess and the Pea thing for me. I have clients order both Catalina Down and Spring Down and when I sit in them I can't tell the difference. I always opt for Spring Down for my own personal use as I prefer a Marshall unit core construction. Expect some mild feather leakage from the cushions on either type and also pillows that are done in down. Feather leakage is not considered a warranty defect.

Duane Collie

• HU-631886921
    3 years ago

I also could not tell the difference when I sat on both side by side. However, the sofa in the showroom was Catalina and it felt soft but very comfortable.

Any suggestions on nailhead color for the Navarro Lapis (dark blue "velvets")?

The Santor is going in a family room. The nail heads frame the sofa so I don't want it to look too formal or gaudy. One designer suggested 1/2 in black nail heads. They will not show up so much, but maybe that is a good thing??

• chrisstack
    2 years ago

I got my Taylor King sofa, Cozy Creations. I will get right to the point. The sofa was delivered with damage to the upper back of the sofa, two legs were damaged as well. The cushions were awful, and new ones were sent to me, but they were not much better, so I put foam in the top cushions, They sent an upholsterer, and he said my sofa needed work. Never heard from anyone again. To be fair it was the beginning of Covid. I really need another sofa, and of course it has to match. I will not order a sofa from Taylor King, but if there is a store with one on the floor, with my fabric "Bayou Porcelain" and the dye lot is a good match, it would work. Duane Collie I wish I liked the fabric on the sofa you had on your floor, it looked much better than the one I received. If you get this sofa, in good shape with my fabric, please reach out to me. Of course that would be almost impossible, Regards, Chris

• Carolyn Hunter
    last year

I purchased my Taylor king sofa from Greenfront furniture in Farmville, VA. I have owned Hancock and Moore sofas and Jessica Charles swivel chairs. I have to say I am extremely pleased with my Taylor King sofa. It’s very comfortable and the fabric has held up very well. I’ve had my Hancock and moore leather sofas for years and they are also very sturdy but overtime the leather has worn, which isn’t unusual. I am looking to replace my Hancock and moore sofas and will more likely purchase two more Taylor king sofas to replace them.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm