Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piscesgirl

Restoration Hardware Leather Sofa

piscesgirl
15 years ago

We need to get a new leather sofa and are leaning toward the RH Lancaster. We love how deep it is. Does anyone else know of any other couches that are that deep (33" seat depth/39" overall depth)? Any other sofa suggestions?

Also if anyone has any of RH leather sofas....

--How well does their leather (particularly the Brompton Cocoa Leather) holds up over time? We are kind mixed about the "distressed" leather and are curious how it will look over time. Does it wear well? Resist stains/spills?

--How well do RH leather sofas hold up in general (cushions, frame, etc)?

Sale prices----

Our store just got a new Lancaster sofa (the floor model they sold was 4 years old...so getting a floor model anytime soon is out of the question)

Has anyone purchased from a RH outlet or the warehouse sale? I know our local outlet will tell you what they have in stock if you call. Does anyone know if they will do the same at the warehouse sale? We live about a little under 2 hours from the MD warehouse but really don't want to drive that far to find out they don't have what we are looking for. How much do they typically discount their leather couches at the warehouse sale? At the outlet they are 25% off retail.

Does the outlet/warehouse furniture come with a warranty? Our outlet sales person didn't think so. We can get 20% off during the retail store friends and family...I am not sure it is worth an extra 5% savings not to have a warranty on a $4000 couch. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (44)

• damselfly2
    15 years ago

Hi there,

I to am looking in to Casco Bay's version of the lancaster sofa. It appears almost the same and I am told by Casco that they are the original manufacturer of RH's lancaster (who has since switched to Michell Gold and now Vietnam). But to the person above - is the Casco Bay's as soft? The cushions definitely look a little thicker/bulkier which equates to less softness in my book. Does it have the down seat cushions?
    Thanks!

• damselfly2
    15 years ago

Latest info: Bari leather sells (2) versions of the 'Lancaster'. Their 'Breno' sofa has the 8 way hand tied springs - but also has a marshall unit (SPRINGS) in the cushions which the RH Lancaster does not have. My guess is this would be a LOT firmer and bouncier than RH's Sofa. They also carry the 'Arliano' - which does not have the marshall unit but also does not have the 8 way hand tied springs either - making this probably much like the clubfurniture.com version. Neither of these is acceptable to me so I have decided to go with Casco Bay's Lancaster which has the 8 way hand tied springs without a marshall unit - making it - exactly the same as the RH Lancaster. Actually, they use RH's original manufacturer. Hope this helps all those searching.

• navedew_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Thanks to all who posted on this forum. I just ordered the Casco Bay version of the RH Lancaster sofa. I got the Brompton leather and nail trim for $3047.00.
    Robert from Casco Bay was really nice to work with...I'll inform everyone about the sofa when it arrives at the end of May....thanks again..

• schome
    14 years ago

I received my Casco Bay leather sofa today and it is awesome, looks to be
    top quality. The leather will take some time to break in other than that it
    is great..The actual inside dimensions 73w x 26d x 33 h..The depth will increase
    as the sofa leather softens over time....hope this helps

• damselfly2
    14 years ago

wow. only a 26" seat depth??? that is definitely NOT the depth of RH Lancaster sofa. You could swim in the RH sofa! :) I thought Casco Bay's was the exact same. perhaps not - but good info to know. enjoy it! and thanks for posting.

• smoothrider
    14 years ago

I purchased the Lancaster sofa from Casco Bay last January and I have to agree with Schome. The sofa is awesome. Really good quality. My sofa is 28" deep which is really deep. I thought the one at RH was too deep. I think theirs was 31" or 32". In fact I am thinking about getting the Maxwell from them for my office. My neighbor did buy this from Casco Bay and this sofa is a dead ringer knock off. I measured it last night to make sure it would fit. The overall dimensions were 90W X 45.5D X 35H. The seat was 30" deep.

• plowboy_1980
    14 years ago

???? Can some one tell me the model/serial number off of a Casco Bay Manchester model or from the Lancaster RH model. I belong to a buying group and wanted to see if they can get ahold of them any cheaper. Thank you

• damselfly2
    14 years ago

I think the take home message here is that the Casco Bay 'Lancaster' is NOT the Restoration Hardware Lancaster. The Casco Bay sofa may be a great, quality sofa but passing it off as a RH exact copy is an untruth. As a matter of fact, Casco Bay is now calling there's the Manchester - which to me indicates they had an issue somewhere. I bit the bullet and bought the RH Lancaster. this baby is the absolute real deal.
    Best purchase i have ever made.

• mountainvalleygirl
    14 years ago

I purchased the Lancaster Sofa from CascoBayFurniture.Com and I have to agree with Schome and SmoothRider the sofa is beautiful. It is made in North Carolina. I did ask them why they changed the name from Lancaster to Manchester and they said RH objected to their use of the name.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    14 years ago

The previous post by schome
    "The leather will take some time to break in other than that it is great.."
    should be a warning sign, for quality leathers their is no break-in time, but for bi-cast, buffalo and bonded leather it is a norm.

• navedew_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Just checking in here with an update on my Casco Manchester sofa. I love this sofa. The 26/27 inch depth if just fine for my wife and I. I am not defending Casco Bay but they advertised this sofa as the Manchester not the Lancaster.
    They do however compare it to the Lancaster. So for me it was worth it saving over $1000.00 for an American made sofa versus one made in China. I hope everyone enjoys being a couch potato on the sofa of their choice.....thanks

• peggross1
    14 years ago

I learned about Hancock & Moore leather furniture on this website and just ordered one of their leather sleep sofas in a Class 4 leather (upgrade) for LESS than $4000 delivered inside my house from Annies Furniture. The price they quoted was $1,000 less than my local NJ retailer - absolutely amazing. www.anniesfurniture.com

I've heard iffy things about RH furniture from a top salesman in one of their NJ locations (don't want to get anyone in trouble here, so I'll leave it at that). You might be better served and less likely to even need your warranty, to buy an H&M leather sofa.

I bought the "City" sleep sofa in the shorter of two available lengths. Dimensions are H36" W83" D38" (Inside W 63" Inside D 20.5") and was quoted $3800.

H&M also makes a longer "City" sleep sofa with depths of 41", inside 23"

We also considered another sleep sofa called the "September" which was much bigger with a depth of 44", inside depth of 20.5" It was too large for our space, so we didn't get a quote.

These are, of course, sleep sofa measurements and likely are different for the regular versions without the sleeper inside. H&M also sells a wide variety of sofas which I'm sure are much deeper than these examples. I'm sure Nick at Annies' Furniture would love to help you find a nice, deep one!

I'll post a link to the Hancock & Moore site if you are interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hancock & Moore website

• opeala
    14 years ago

I just received my version of the Lancaster from Maple's Leather Furniture in NC. It was priced at $2890.00 with a free freight promotion. I love it, they modified the length to fit into my flat, Zoe was awesome. I really wanted the RH stlyle but was horrified with the price for a chinese import. The depth is just as roomy as the RH style and I really feel like it is better made. Best of all it took 4 weeks total.They shipped to AL no problem, and none of this threshold buisness they brought it in and placed it in the room.

• mountainvalleygirl
    14 years ago

I did consider the Lancaster from Maples Furniture. I found out that it was made in Canada from a friend of mine that purchased it. I also found a local store who carried this sofa. They called it the Dalton and I seriously considered it. What I didn't like about it was that it was firm almost bouncy to sit on. I asked the salesperson at the store why it sat like this and she told me there were springs inside the cushions. I didn't want a sofa that was too deep and I did measure the depth it was 26" which was fine with me. I ended up not purchasing this sofa due to the seating.

• PRO
    shotsimiller
    14 years ago

When I lived in NYC, I always wanted to like the RH
    furniture. Found the upholstery details sorely wanting.
    Just plain sloppy work. Recently I've been admiring
    the Hamilton...perfect size and look for me. But
    the leather is not lovely and soft and the pictures
    of it show the same sloppy details. So, tho it's a great
    shape etc., just can't shop RH. Feel it's less than
    wonderful furniture.

• polojankins
    13 years ago

I've been looking at the Restoration Hardware sofa for about 4 years. A friend of mine bought one back then. I just purchased a sofa almost identical to the Restoration Hardware sofa from a store here in Dallas called The Luxury of Leather and we love it. I actually think that its a better product than the one you get at RH. In addition to being made in the USA (they make their furniture right here in Dallas...Carrollton, TX to be exact)...it came with a lifetime warranty on the frame and a 5 year warranty against accidental damage. (Spills/Stains, Cuts, Tears, etc.) And since the economy is still in the tank, I negotiated an unbelievable price of $2500 all in. (tax and delivery included) True to the Luxury of Leather's policy, they built and delivered our couch in less than 14 days from the day we purchased it. This couch is a beast. In fact it is so big its almost like having a whole cow in your living room. The dimensions are 100 inches long by 46 inches deep by 36 inches high. I even got invited by the owner to come out and take a tour of the manufacturing facility where I got to see them cutting the frame, cutting out the patterns, sewing the leather etc.

Here are some pics of my sofa in my living room:

• lawnriver
    13 years ago

I have been interested in buying the Lancaster sofa or something similar to it for some time, but I don't want to buy a sofa made in China and I don't want to buy one made with sinuous springs. I want 8 way hand tied spring construction so it will last. The Restoration Hardware sofa is made in China. Most of the sofas online are made with sinuous springs. I also want a kiln dried hardwood frame with dowels and corner blocks. I was curious about the sofa pictured above from The Luxury of Leather so I went to their website. This sofa was missing some quality features I was looking for. To begin with the suspension is not 8 way hand tied but rather an elasticized cloth webbing. They call it "polypropylene webbing suspension". In spite of what they say on their website my research has revealed that this type of suspension does not last and sags. The don't seem to offer a down seat cushion either. It is foam cushion with fibre around it. I guess I will need to do more research and keep looking.

• onlywayisjumpin
    13 years ago

For those that purchased the Manchester from Castco Bay--

(1) Does it "sit" as well as the Restoration Hardware? Does it give you that great sunk-in feeling?

(2) How's the leather quality for the Brompton leathers?

I think there are plenty of people who would appreciate your feedback--its difficult to decide to purchase when you have not sat on the real thing!

• pinkham
    13 years ago

We did purchase the Manchester from Casco Bay. The sofa was well made and very comfortable. The leather was what we had hoped for and appeared to be the same leather we had seen at Restoration Hardware. No complaints. We were very pleased with our purchase.

• detmed
    13 years ago

Just purchased the Madison leather queen sleeper sofa from Casco Bay Furniture (cascobayfurniture.com). It's the equivalent of RH's Maxwell sleeper. I got it for $2600 delivered with a five year warranty. Just priced it out on the Restoration Hardware website and it is $5600 delivered (with 6% sales tax in MI)!

I'm not sure if I even need to say anything else. The salesman at Casco Bay, Robert Allen, was conscientious beyond expectation and really in my opinion epitomizes quality customer service. Although I don't think they can advertise that it is the same sofa, apparently they approached RH's former manufacturer once RH outsourced it overseas and are now selling it directly.

I'll add this: I am a physician, I pay way too much attention to detail, so believe me when I say this sofa is the exact same thing at less than half the price.

Their phone number is: (603)303-5360.

ANSWERING YOUR QUESTION ABOUT HOW IT SITS: Right now, it's way more firm. I thought that I maybe got foam pad inserts instead of the down, but when I called Robert from Casco Bay he said that they only sell the down, which I confirmed by opening it up and looking. He says that the cushions are put in by machines and thus there is a lot of air in them when you first get them. Also stated that when these are new on the floor they are a lot more firm than they end up being. He recommended putting a blanket over them and walking on them for awhile. I am going to take it a step further and put something big and heavy on them to see if that does the trick. Feel free to message me in a few months and I'll let you know how they're breaking in.

• bigds01
    13 years ago

I think I am going to go with Casco. Just one question, do they negotiate, or are the prices are what they are?

• pogi707
    13 years ago

RH has a Mother's Day sale going on now at their website:
    Save $100 on every $500.
    Offer valid only for purchases made from May 4-10, 2010. Use code RHMTR15 to redeem by phone or enter at checkout when ordering online.

Here is a link that might be useful: RH Mother's Day Sale

• smoothrider
    13 years ago

I purchased the Maxwell Sofa from Casco Bay last fall for my office. I am also thinking of getting their version of the Buster chair and would like to know if anyone has purchased these. I contemplated getting the Maxwell as a sleeper but after a bit of investigation concluded that a sofa would be more comfortable than a sleeper. It took a little while for the cushions and the Brompton leather to break in but now that they have I find the sofa to be exceptionally comfortable. All in all I am very happy with this sofa and it looks great in my office.

• unhappy82
    13 years ago

Unhappy with the services that Casco Bay Furniture provides. Haven't received the couch yet and it's going on 3 months. Everything from confusion over payment to not being able to get an answer on couch delivery has me extremely irritated. I will never use them again and will never recommend them to anyone. Trying to save a few bucks by going with this company instead of Restoration Hardware has left me with a headache.

• summerbreeze10
    13 years ago

Dear Unhappy 82 we are sorry your order has been delayed. Sometimes there can be manufacturing delays that are beyond our control such as leather delays or delays with the delivery service. Our ultimate objective is for you to receive a high quality damage free product. Please contact us at your earliest convenience and we will do everything possible to assist you. CascoBayStaff

• Prime_Research
    12 years ago

I think that Casco Bay may be running a bait and switch. I called three weeks ago and asked about the Madison Leather Sofa that was listed on sale on their webpage. $1,888 for a 90 inch, $1788 for a loveseat. I was told that they weren't selling the sofa any more because it was below their quality standards due to manufacturing issues and that's why it was on sale in the first place. I was of course pushed to the regular priced items. Oddly enough after three weeks guess what is still listed on their website? Tread lightly my friends something is a miss.

Here is a link that might be useful: Casco Bay Madison Sale

• summerbreeze10
    12 years ago

Dear Prime Research,

We manufacturer the Madison sofas from our specialty factory in North Carolina. This sofa is made to the highest standards and we include made extras at no additional charge. We make this set in a wide variety of sizes, depths and cushion options. Some of our customers had asked us for a more promotionally price sofa with quality features. We were able to offer a promotionally priced Madison sofa in one size, and one depth and one cushion arrangement from another manufacturer. The promotional sofa offered at $1888 did not include some of the free extras we usually offer. However we found that the promotional sofa did not meet our standards in a few areas such as packaging. We took the sofa offered at $1888 off-sale until such time as the manufacturer could make the needed changes. We anticipated that these changes would be made. As this has yet to happen in spite of our efforts we have decided to remove this promotion from our site. Please call if you have any questions. The Staff At Casco Bay

• everhartd
    12 years ago

I purchased the Manchester sofa from Cascobayfurniture.com. The sofa is very deep, however, not as deep as the one at Restoration Hardware. The sofa is extremely good quality, the leather feels heavy and the construction is what you would expect from American made products. I was disappointed however with the delivery. The guys placed the sofa in my living room and brought in all the cushions and after inspecting the sofa, I signed the delivery invoice. I was leaving the house after they left and as I was backing out I noticed that they had broken the freestanding light along my walkway to the front door. They didn't even tell me and they accepted my tip which really irritated me. I called the delivery company immediately and then when I didn't hear from them, I called Robert at Cascobay and he's never gotten back to me. It's been two months. Since then, I've repaired the light. With this economy, I don't think it's smart for these people to do this to their customers. Where do they think they get their business from? I have neighbors that come over and ask about the sofa. What will I say?

• summerbreeze10
    12 years ago

Dear Everhartd We did report the broken light to the delivery company after your call. As a rule the delivery company is excellent and we receive many compliments about their service. The sofa you ordered is 112" and over 300 lbs and difficult to carry; perhaps the drivers didn't realize they broke the light. We are sorry for the broken light and sorry that no one got back to you regarding your light. As far as the depth we can make this sofa in any depth. The overall depth of your sofa is 48". The depth of the seat is related to the type of construction of the back cushion and the longevity of the cushion. Our down blend back cushion is very well constructed and designed to give you many years of service. With use the back cushion will compress and the seat will deepen. We will make sure you are reimbursed for your light. Robert will call you today and discuss your order with you. The Staff at Casco Bay.

• fake_usa
    12 years ago

For the people who bought the Casco Bay Sofa's. How do you like them after owning them a while now?

For the people saying their Casco sofa is not as deep as the Restoration Hardware, are you sure you didn't ordered the 43" deep Sofa? I see two depths offered on the website.

If you did buy the 48" version, how much "less deep" is it? Are we talking inches or centimeters?

Thanks!

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I have a sectional and a loveseat from Casco Bay. I ordered them at different times (I placed the second order after I was happy with the first.)

The sectional, which we've broken in and have had longer, has a seat depth currently of about 32". The newer loveseat (we've had it a month or less) is around 30.5" deep currently.

• rheabee80
    11 years ago

Late to the game, I worked at Restoration Hardware when the Lancaster rolled out... it was originally called the Bubba (all signage was shipped out in '04 as Bubba then we had to have it unsigned on the floor until they changed to Lancaster). If I remember correctly the original manufacturer was Lee Industries... it was one of the first Lee Industries sofas that they sold. Previously they had Mitchell Gold and an unfortunate run with HH Hyatt...

• dutseal
    9 years ago

Hi Opeala:

I know this is an older threat, but I'm about to buy a leather sectional from Maple's Leather and I wanted to know how is yours holding up...?

Did you order the seat cushions with the springs inside or no?

How is the overall sofa holding up..leather wise, cushion sagging?

Thanks!

• kingadrian
    8 years ago

I am replying to my own post :)

Finally purchased a leather sectional from Zoe (Maple's Leather Furniture) and the construction is solid, leather is supple and soft. This is a 8-way hand tied, solid wood, kiln dried construction. My sofa arrived in less than 8 weeks, just as promised. The delivery company (D&&D) was excellent, I don't understand the negative reviews online about D&D.

Zoe is wonderful to work with, her price is the best and I have researched tons. I am so happy I made a good investment.

• Danielle
    8 years ago

Kingadrian- which sofa did you get and what kind of leather? Is this maplesleather.com? Looking for same type of sofa need of some help

• kingadrian
    8 years ago

Hi wmhs02dm:

I bought the Turner Sofa. It's a 3-seater plus a chaise. So it's an L-shape sectional.

Maplesleather.com is correct and you will talk to Zoe.

Let me know if you need further info.

• PRO
    Wellington's Fine Leather Furniture
    8 years ago

In today’s market place between online merchants and local furniture stores you can find almost anything you are searching for. There is a fine line to finding quality leather furniture at a price most can afford. RH gets tons of attention because of their large marketing budget and many retail locations but as you can see by this thread there are many other alternatives to their styles and leather color selection. 8-way hand tied, solid hardwood frame and premium leather are a must when searching for quality leather furniture.

Furniture products made in America are much higher quality and you should expect them to last longer than the same looking products made off shore (China). As you can see in viewing this thread, there are so many other options to the same looking RH designs. Comfort and good quality are the bottom line at a price we can afford. Materials used, country of origin and your leather choice will dictate your price point.

Before you buy leather furniture anywhere, take a few minutes and get educated about your purchase. A must read before you buy leather furniture!

The Definitive Guide To Buying Leather Furniture

• PRO
    MarketPlace Designs
    6 years ago

Heads up for ANY furniture purchases... 1) double check the door opening size and angles that the furn must navigate thru... and 2) a scaled floor plan is a must to assure fit (with space) in the room. Furniture has this sneaky way of looking smaller in showrooms with few walls. I applaud everyone who pays attention to Made in America!

• Kendra
    5 years ago

Detmed, did the cushions of your Madison ever soften up? Thank you!

• Lori Fisher
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

8 years ago we moved and wanted to purchase a Lancaster sectional from restoration hardware, but someone told us about the quality issues, made in china, etc., so after research and consulting professionals we purchased a ”quality” leather sofa from bradington young. It does not have the depth of the RH sofa and after a short amount of time the back leather cushions stared to curl and buckle. We have taken good care of the leather done the suggested cleaning, but it just looks awful. We regret purchasing this and feel stuck because it was costly. We should have gotten the one at RH; we still sit on it when we stop by there.

• Lori Fisher
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Here is a photo of the sofa, which I want to say was NOT subjected to heavy use.

• PRO
    The KEEPING ROOM
    4 years ago

Look at the one photo you have posted, Lori - it appears you selected and aniline dyed leather and have significant sun fade on it (from what I can tell, more photos would be helpful). You probably need a re-dye kit from these folks that you can do yourself in about an hour. Kits run about $ 100 and do a fantastic job.

https://www.damagedleathersolutions.com/

Also, your internal cores need replacing on both seats and backs, not unexpected for a main-room use sofa. Bradington Young will send you the seat cores at no charge (you pay shipping) but there is a charge for the back ones.

A re-dye and re-core will really help that sofa, and try to do something about UV sunlight on the sofa after you re-color it. Good luck.

BTW, your B-Y sofa is better quality than Restoration Hardware in my opinion.

• Lori Fisher
    4 years ago

Thank you so much for your advice!! I will contact BY and see what can be done.