Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanmd_gw

Need to find better than Hooker office furniture

oceanmd
10 years ago

I am looking for Office furniture. I like the style of Hooker Westburry collection but know that it is veneer and particle board made in China for $4,700. Will you please recommend a solid wood manufacture. Thank you a lot

Comments (3)

• msbumble
    10 years ago

If you have a strong preference for that style I would recommend looking for used furniture built over 50 years ago for the desk. Many people are selling well-made old desks on Craigslist and at estate sales, but you probably know this. And the hutch part would be a problem.
    If you're willing to look at a more modern style, try Room and Board. They make their furniture in the U.S. It isn't made from solid boards either but it's nicely done. So is McKinnon furniture in Seattle, Scott Jordan in NY (they carry several different manufacturers). There is some solid wood out there but it's rare and you pay a great deal for it these days.

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Besides craigslist, keep an eye out on the Stenella Antiques website as well as on ebay with other antique dealers offering high end used furniture.
    For what it's worth, my Hooker entertainment base (has drawers and glass doors) with hutch has held up fine these past three years, both in finish and function. No doubt it's from China as well. I agree, though, it's certainly not the quality of the old stuff. Edited to add that I ordered this furniture online from Benjamin Rug & Home. They are a well established furniture store in Secaucus, NJ who also sell online. I live in TX and had no problems although paid quite a bit extra for white glove delivery. The price was still less than a furniture store in my area.

This post was edited by Texasgal47 on Wed, May 14, 14 at 17:10

• furnitureexpert
    9 years ago

You seem to think veneers and particleboard are bad things. Most of the highest end furniture made in the world is veneered, and most with particleboard. Labor is the biggest cost in making casegoods, so coming from china or other areas in the world makes this kind of furniture affordable. You can be assured if made here it would be at the very least twice as expensive but more than likely 4 times more. Because of the glues and drying techniques available today being solid or veneer should not be a consideration except when dealing with moisture or temperature changes...then veneers have an edge.Buy the look and features...and btw...the finish separates lower end casegoods from high end.