Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desperately seeking a Daybed that opens to a queen

Posted by Madeline616 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 20:36

Hello,

I have a small guest room that will accommodate a queen in a pinch when guests are staying, but day-to-day would much more easily fit a smaller size bed, ideally a daybed.

Does anyone know of a source for such a bed?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desperately seeking a Daybed that opens to a queen

IKEA has a daybed that opens to a king, but if you don't pull it out all the way, you can likely use it as a queen.

We have one and use it as a twin, it is called HEMNES.

o

Hi Detroit,

Thanks for the info. The Hemnes looks really nice. So, when you pull it out, it's a king? Did you select the foam or the latex mattress? And does it require 2 mattresses when opened to a king?

Thanks again for taking the time to help!

Madeline :)

o

Hi Madeline,
I did not realize you posted back.

We bought the Hemnes daybed for a preschooler and wanted something that would grow with him, or have further use for guests one day. Closed up it looks like a twin daybed with drawers under it. the whole bottom section with the drawers pulls out to double it in size to a king bed. the construction has alternating slats. I suppose if you only pulled it out part of the way you can use it with a queen mattress.

I prefer latex foam to spring mattresses and because it is for a small child, we bought the least expensive thin one, and it is comfortable for him and us when we read to him in bed. the construction of it would not tolerate jumping on the bed.

In the store, they show the bed set up with two thin mattresses (like the one we bought) one on top of the other, and the sales person said to put them side by side when opening up to a king. we only bought one thin mattress for now.

if you want to see how it is put together, look at the directions for more info, the website that has them is below, for some reason these are scanned in back to front. I also suggest going to the store and seeing how it works for yourself to appreciate how it is made and decide if it is for you as IKEA is not high end furniture, but it has served us well in many rooms. the sales associates will allow you to remove the bedding and see how it works, it is a very hands on kind of store.

http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/ikea-instructions/6654-hemnes-day-bed-instructions.html?ltr=H

Here is a link that might be useful: assembly instructions

o

corner sofa bed is best option if you want have a queen sized day bed... these beds gets assembled and take very sort space... our corners are mostly under utilized... thats why we can easily place a daybed there which will increase the room elegance and will serve the slleping purpose too...

o

These appear to be more common in the UK:

Mostly this category is futons and sofa-beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: UK QUEEN DAYBED

o

Thanks so much for these responses. Very helpful!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here