Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justsomedude

Restoration Hardware's Parsons Reclaimed Russian Oak Table Care

justsomedude
11 years ago

Hello,

I'm looking at buying Restoration Hardware's Parsons Reclaimed Russian Oak Table (60") and had questions I'm hoping you friendly users can help with.

1) What can I put on the wood to protect it from spills/kids?

- I've read about Monocoat oil from another post, but it seems to darken the wood more than I would like. I want to keep it a greying/beige as much as possible while sufficiently protecting it.

2) Would a water based polyurethane coat work?

- Would it make for a too glossy of a coat?

- How should it be applied? Patting or brushing?

- How long would it lasts? I'm looking for something to last a long time, but understand if that's not a good option.

3) Does the wood vs coating matter?

4) Does anyone have pictures or reviews for this table? Or other Reclaimed Russian Oak products from RH?

- I saw it in person a few months ago, but now we are looking for a dining table and I remember liking it, but don't remember the exact color or gloss. I'll call around and take another look at it in person.

5) Alternatives? I really liked the proportions of this table vs other parsons like tables. And anything cheaper would be much appreciated. We are planning to buy sometime in Jan 2013, if we are able to save enough $.

Thank you all for your time and responses :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware's Parsons Reclaimed Russian Oak

Comments (16)

• ctwoman
    10 years ago

Did you ever buy this table? I'm looking for reviews and cannot find any! Thanks for any help!

• bobismyuncle
    10 years ago

I repair furniture, including some RH on warranty. Consumers have told me that RH tells them if they apply anything over the top, it voids their warranty. I don't know for sure, but I've heard this. I've also seen people who do "slap on some poly" and have been happy with their choice.

Any finish is going to alter the look of the wood. Cracks and weathering are never going to completely seal with a film finish.

There are three main purposes to applying a film finish:
    - To beautify the wood
    - To protect it from the elements (i.e., staining material, including water)
    - To provide a cleanable surface

I always say these tables are just one spilled glass of red wine or red Kool-Aid, or escaping meatball away from a permanent stain.

As someone who's made a lot of furniture, I never see the appeal in the rustic nature of these pieces.

• thrifterindisguise
    10 years ago

I didn't have this particular table, but I did get an RH table (grand balluster) and we ended up returning it entirely. On top of structural issues, I found it impossible to clean! And the salespeople were kinda sketchy about how to clean it when I asked, so I should have know better then.

• thrifterindisguise
    10 years ago

I didn't have this particular table, but I did get an RH table (grand balluster) and we ended up returning it entirely. On top of structural issues, I found it impossible to clean! And the salespeople were kinda sketchy about how to clean it when I asked, so I should have know better then.

• ZimboD
    9 years ago

Greetings justsomedude,

We have just received our table today and absolutely love it.

Did you coat the top with anything?
    Any recommendations?

Cheers,
    ZD

• Jem
    3 years ago

I just got this table- absolutely stunning. The pictures on the website don't do it justice. I got the natural color and it does seem to have protection- it's smooth with a shine- probably a wax. It's not as rustic as I thought it would be (which is awesome). I do have a kitchen table which was finished with a powder coat from a different company. It didn't have any finish on it. I did put a carnuba wax on that which has lasted over a year with twice a day wet wipe down. I have to say that the kitchen table looks better than when I got it. The patina is beautiful. it's the look that I was after. I think if you go for the rustic look then go with the rustic look. Don't fret. I know I was getting wrapped up in staining etc initially but it didn't happen and any little mark/blemish on it is from my family and from having loving memories around the table. Who wants to live a pristine sterile life? Not me. Enjoy your furniture don't keep it so precious. Be well everyone.

• Cinnamonstick 11
    3 years ago

• Cinnamonstick 11
    3 years ago

• Cinnamonstick 11
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I also use Daddy Vans Wax on my Restoration. Reclaimed table. Also on my cement dining table. Works well. I would recommend the Restoration Hardware table to anyone! I think the natural oak is stunning however, I do wish I purchased the gray. I’ve had it for maybe 4 years and my style changed. Looks too warm for my current taste. Good luck! (Yes, aware this is a very old post but was searching around for information to possibly stain the table so had to add my two cents).

Love what Jem said!!! Spot on!

• Cinnamonstick 11
    3 years ago

• Cinnamonstick 11
    3 years ago

Great article. Haven’t tried anything by the Vans

https://julieblanner.com/restoration-hardware-table-nightmare/

• Jem
    3 years ago

Hi- have you considered bleaching it then applying a grey toned wax/stain? Alot of oaks lean into grey. not sure what kind of oak this table is. Love your kitchen!

• Cinnamonstick 11
    3 years ago

Thank you!

Wood bleach could be a great idea! So scary with the risk of ruining it. So pretty as is, just wish it was more gray or at least more muted orang/tan/brown. If we get more serious about tampering I would post for suggestions. Bleaching to lift the current color before adding back sounds like a smart way to go.

• dahtzilanza
    2 years ago

Anyone on here interested in selling their natural oak russian plank table??

• Cinnamonstick 11
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi

We are keeping so far. Color is discontinued but they still make the table in three other shades. Keep an eye on Market Place. inhave seen several pop up in this color on there. Trick is to locate one for sale near you.

Good luck!