Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Restoration Hardware's Parsons Reclaimed Russian Oak Table Care

Posted by justsomedude (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 20:12

Hello,

I'm looking at buying Restoration Hardware's Parsons Reclaimed Russian Oak Table (60") and had questions I'm hoping you friendly users can help with.

1) What can I put on the wood to protect it from spills/kids?
- I've read about Monocoat oil from another post, but it seems to darken the wood more than I would like. I want to keep it a greying/beige as much as possible while sufficiently protecting it.

2) Would a water based polyurethane coat work?
- Would it make for a too glossy of a coat?
- How should it be applied? Patting or brushing?
- How long would it lasts? I'm looking for something to last a long time, but understand if that's not a good option.

3) Does the wood vs coating matter?

4) Does anyone have pictures or reviews for this table? Or other Reclaimed Russian Oak products from RH?
- I saw it in person a few months ago, but now we are looking for a dining table and I remember liking it, but don't remember the exact color or gloss. I'll call around and take another look at it in person.

5) Alternatives? I really liked the proportions of this table vs other parsons like tables. And anything cheaper would be much appreciated. We are planning to buy sometime in Jan 2013, if we are able to save enough $.

Thank you all for your time and responses :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware's Parsons Reclaimed Russian Oak

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Restoration Hardware's Parsons Reclaimed Russian Oak Table Ca

Did you ever buy this table? I'm looking for reviews and cannot find any! Thanks for any help!

o

I repair furniture, including some RH on warranty. Consumers have told me that RH tells them if they apply anything over the top, it voids their warranty. I don't know for sure, but I've heard this. I've also seen people who do "slap on some poly" and have been happy with their choice.

Any finish is going to alter the look of the wood. Cracks and weathering are never going to completely seal with a film finish.

There are three main purposes to applying a film finish:
- To beautify the wood
- To protect it from the elements (i.e., staining material, including water)
- To provide a cleanable surface

I always say these tables are just one spilled glass of red wine or red Kool-Aid, or escaping meatball away from a permanent stain.

As someone who's made a lot of furniture, I never see the appeal in the rustic nature of these pieces.

o

I didn't have this particular table, but I did get an RH table (grand balluster) and we ended up returning it entirely. On top of structural issues, I found it impossible to clean! And the salespeople were kinda sketchy about how to clean it when I asked, so I should have know better then.

o

I didn't have this particular table, but I did get an RH table (grand balluster) and we ended up returning it entirely. On top of structural issues, I found it impossible to clean! And the salespeople were kinda sketchy about how to clean it when I asked, so I should have know better then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here