Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone educate me re webbing and springs in Palliser sofas?

Posted by radaar (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 28, 11 at 20:00

We have been shopping for a leather sofa and liked a few palliser models. One has sinuous springs for the seat and elastic webbing in the back cushions. One has interwoven elastic webbing in the seats and sinuous springs in the back. So quality wise what does this mean??

The saleslady couldn't/wouldn't go into any details about the construction.......just kept saying we'd be getting a very good product with any palliser sofa. Once I mentioned that we had bought a palliser leather sectional about 13 yrs ago and it still looks good in my son's active home it was like she was sure we'd buy another and could't be bothered elaborating on the construction.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone educate me re webbing and springs in Palliser so

Quote "The saleslady couldn't/wouldn't go into any details about the construction...."

I would be looking elsewhere to purchase a leather sofa.

o

I did have chance to look this company over recently. Palliser makes a wide variety of stylish products in the medium price range. The regular sofa category has sinuous springs seat construction with sewn in seat and back cushions. They have a step up category with a drop in coil spring system and foam with coil seat cushions which are removable but I think here again the back cushions are sewn on. They have plywood frames as well. They have plants in Canada and Mexico. The company is based in Canada. They also have a good selection of leathers and fabrics with quite a few protected and semi-aniline leathers. I thought the recliners looked good and here again they have a wide selection will all kinds of pieces and configurations. In the medium price range I think it is a good company to look at.

o

I see that this thread is older, but I'm wondering if there is any further information on it? We too are trying to decide between 2 palliser sofas...one with springs, another with elastic webbing under the seats (Wynona vs Genessa models). We can only find a floor model of the Wynona in our area...so we're hoping to find out about the comfort/longevity of the sofas with the elastic webbed seating? Anyone have added information? Thanks!

o

Sinuous springs would be preferable to webbing.Webbing is essentially an elastizied cloth woven in a pattern like a lawn chair.

o

Thanks. I gather that springs would be preferable--which is part of my problem. I've been able to "seat" test another palliser model with webbing (the miami) to get a sense of why they chose this route to go with their construction. And I was surprised at how firm/comfortable it is…whereas another modern style that palliser makes with springs (the wynona) is rather hard. Trying to make sense of it. I rather wish the Miami wasn't so comfortable, or that I could find a floor model of the Genessa, which still intrigues me: http://www.houzz.com/photos/2477288/Modern-Family-Room-contemporary-family-room-other-metro

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here