Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Down shedding of couch

Posted by shadey (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 18:25

Hi,

I have a beautiful couch made by Hickory Chair. I bought it at an outlet center (but still paid plenty for it) and so it is not returnable and there is no warranty. I am happy with the couch except for the fact that the down constantly escapes the cusions through the upholstery. What can I do about this?

Thanks,
Shadey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Down shedding of couch

Send a letter to Hickory Chair. If the chair doesn't hold the down, how can they let it be sold anywhere? Other than that, have a nylon bag made to hold the down, put the down in the bag, and put it back in the cushions. If you do this, let us know how much chicken feathers and trash you find. Down is fluffly and very light. Feathers look like feathers and are not fluffly.
Was it made in China?

o

hold on to the nylon bag idea, I dont think Hickory chair is making any sofas in China, first unzip the back of the cushion to remove the insides. Then inspect the ticking, looking for any broken seams or punctures. Manufacturers use a special down-proof ticking to keep the feathers where they belong. Feathers have a small quill that will work their way through normal fabrics, and the real down doesnt have this quill so the down will always stay inside. If you see any feathers poking through the ticking then Hickory Chair's cushion supplier didnt use a good quality down proof ticking. Very few upholstery manufactures manufacture the cushions, this is done by a speciality cushion converters. Hickory Chair is a larger manufacture and has several cushion suppliers. I havent seen to many outlet centers that didnt offer some kind of warrenty, how long ago did you purchase the sofa? Most re-upholstery shops can make repairs or can get the down proof ticking and make a new envelope for you.

o

That's what I was going to say.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here