Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiewp_gw

Does Vanguard Furniture make a quality sectional

maggiewp
11 years ago

Hello. I am agonizing over finding the right sectional for the family room in our new house. The room is a bit awkward and not all that large, so a sectional is the best way to make use of the space we have and maximize seatinh, and I need one end of the L to be shorter than the other. I believe in buying quality, but we don't have a lot of local dealers where I live carrying quality that I can look at and sit on. I have found a Vanguard sectional from their American Bungalow collection that I can customize to fit, but I'm concerned about the loose back cushions. Do they look sloppy with time? The company claims not to do semi-attached because they claim there are tears with time. I also saw some negative postings about Vanguard. Can anyone comment? I read good things about Huntingdon House but I'll have to drive 2 hours just to test one out. I am interested in a classic (but slightly contemporary with clean lines so it takes up less space). This couch will get a lot of use but my kids are older (and past the jumping on cushions and making forts stage). Any advice?

Comments (15)

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

Maggiewp. I don't who would write a negative review about Vanguard they make an excellent product.

I suppose you if you had a thousand customers and 998 of them were happy and two were unhappy. The unhappy ones would tend to post their feelings and I suppose rightfully so.

They are right about semi attached cushions. They do tend to rip along the seams.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

A lot depends on the fabric, as usually the fabric is the most costly part of most sofas, and usually is the first to go on a well constructed frame, so you should pick a fabric accordingly.
    Their isnt that much difference in quality of Vanguard and Huntington House. Both are good quality upholstery; real hardwood frame construction, 8-way handtied coil springs, HR foam cushions. Loose backs require turning and fluffing on a regular basics. Feathers or fiber filled. They should be channeled a minimum of 3.

• maggiewp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your responses. What does "channeled a minimum of 3" mean though?

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

Maybe a better layman's terms would be dividers. The feathers and/or feather fiber mixture should be incased in a sewn pillow made with a down-proof ticking. And this pillow should have at least 3 individual horizontal channels or dividers. Top - center - bottom. This keeps the filling in place so that the pillow will provide support in all areas and maintain its shape.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

Interesting comment "richardwrx". Exactly where do you see a difference in quality now?
    Just to add, that I have personally been on the production floor of both Vanguard and Huntington House, seeing it being manufactured and understanding their quality control. Huntington House has increased their quality quite a bit recently, so maybe your thinking of some past years.

• richardwrx
    11 years ago

I have actually had first hand experience with both manufacturers. I do have a to the trade showroom and small upholstery factory.

I am very familiar with the manufacturing process and all of the little tricks that can be done to make a piece of furniture cheaper.

Huntington House is not a quality conscientious company... its very simple... take a look at the detailing in their products, it is terrible.

I would not say the same about Vanguard.

If I were however looking to purchase some upholstery, they would not be on the radar of companies I would purchase from.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

Richardwrx, your answer is still quit vague, in comparison. As I posted their isnt that much a difference in quality when you compare the price points. I will try to explain to you the details of the difference, as Vanguard; upholstery operations are hourly paid, where Huntington House the all upholstery operations are hourly paid with the exception of spring-up and upholstery. And this will play some difference in quality. But for the actual quality of materials that go into either product, I challenge you to find a difference.

• lucasbagelhouse
    9 years ago

I've had Vanguard sectionals and couches for years and absolutely love the quality and comfort. I've also had a King Hickory sectional with attached pillows and they absolutely did tear over time. The cushions did not hold up more than 5 years -- unless you like sag. I've also had Drexel Heritage couches that looked saggy after time as well. Never had that issue with Vanguard -- I just bought an American Bungalow down sectional with loose pillows and absolutely love it. Two people (and my husband is 6'3") can completely stretch out on it. The name of the craftspeople who upholstered it, built it and inspected it are on a tag that is affixed to the frame -- 3 or four names. That's in my living room. I recently moved a large Vanguard sofa with two loose top cushions and two seat cushions from my living room into my family room to make room for the new sectional. I've had this sofa for 10 years and it looks and feels brand new. Totally love.

• PRO
    V-Dub Furniture Store In Arizona
    9 years ago

Both are good quality upholstery but it depends on the fabric, as usually the fabric is the most costly part of
    most sofas, and usually is the first to go on a well constructed frame.

• jimsteph1
    7 years ago

We purchased a Vanguard 9029 Tom Felicia chaise sectional. The fabric gets wrinkled every time we sit on it. Does anyone else have this issue and what can you do about it?

• thomjbrown
    5 years ago

Do not buy from Vanguard! Their customer service is completely nonexistent. Our "custom order" sofa was built missing a few of the supports for the cushions. So they suggested we find someone in the area to help us and send them bids to fix the problem. Finally sending us the parts in the mail!

Read the reviews and for own sake find a reputable manufacturer. And that does not include Vanguard.

• Terri Orf
    5 years ago

wow...i bought a Huntington House sectional and am not happy with it. The seam on the left arm is not at the same place as the right arm. And the back cushions are just inserts with channels put into the slip covers. So they don't fill out the corners and the 3 puffy channels show right through the fabric. Plus the back seam was pulling away from the couch. it's brand new. they are replacing it but I'm not sure i want another sectional from them. Any recommendations. I spent $7k on this sectional.

• Erica Laudon
    2 years ago

We had our interior designer make us two custom Vanguard sofas. With a lot of rough wear & tear with twin boys and two dogs, our sofas have held up incredibly well and still look beautiful. We had them upholstered in Krypton fabric.

• rphightower
    4 months ago

My experience with Vanguard has not been positive. Mainly because they will not ship my items and will not tell me or the distributor what the problem is. They have the MIY section I can order from. I was told 6 months to delivery. I waited 14 months too long and cancelled the order. Yeah, that's a long time to wait, however I wanted it so bad. I'm so dissapointed.