Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittonian

Major Restoration Hardware Fail, Need Quality Manufacturer

kittonian
9 years ago

In July my wife and I spent over $20k at Restoration Hardware on new furniture for the house. What I didn't know at the time was the quality of their furniture is absolute garbage, and beyond that virtually every piece they delivered was damaged. We have gone through replacement after replacement (all of which were more damaged than the first), exhausted customer service and had someone direct at corporate trying to handle things (a complete waste of time) and are so fed up we are returning everything and going to purchase from someone else.

The problem is, we can't seem to find anyone that matches two criteria:

1. Makes heirloom quality furniture that will last a lifetime
2. Has the same "industrial style" like Restoration Hardware

We are even willing to look at hiring a custom furniture maker to duplicate (or at least come close in style) to the exact pieces we purchased, but are certainly open to any and all suggestions as to another company that already makes these types of pieces.

Here's a sampling of what we purchased, so you can get an idea of the style:

St James Desk (black)
St James Panel Queen Bed w/out Footboard and two nightstands (distressed white)
Double French Library Shelving - 60" W x 93" H
Lancaster Leather Sofa (Italian Brompton Cocoa) - 96" & 60"
French Upholstered Wing Chair - Black Oak Drifted
Salvaged Wood & Concrete Trestle Rectangular Dining Table 84"
20th Century Iron Vault Coffee Table

Comments (4)

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

Sorry your order didn't work out. You do have to admit they have some great styles in their assortment. I have read the criticism about them on the various forums but they have a fantastic merchandising team and they must be doing something right to achieve the success they have. You might check out Arhaus as well who has a similar look.

• Neoman
    9 years ago

You are correct, Restoration Hardware, Arhus, Pottery Barn are fashionable, well thought out looks, but they have to be sold to the masses. Their mark up is very high.

You can achieve the industrial look by going to a good higher end retailer that carries Sherrill, Taylor King, Hancock & Moore, Precedent, Lexington, bring pictures of what you are wanting and have them create the look for you.

The reason you may not see the "industrial" look at retail stores, is because they do not have locations inside a Mall. They have to appeal to a wider market and look.

The industrial look, is a younger person look, and usually requires "lower" prices, higher traffic requirements to drive the volume.

The companies I listed are classic traditional, transitional lines, that can make anything. There products will last for a long long time. Hickory White can put a custom finish on most of their wood items.
    NEO

• kittonian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I could not agree more that the "style" of RH is wonderful. It's exactly what we wanted which is why we purchased so much of it. I honestly don't even care that their markup is a bit higher as long as it's exceptional quality. Unfortunately it is not.

One of the rumors we've heard about RH is that they have all their showroom furniture made in North Carolina but when a customer places an order it's much worse quality from China. I don't know this to be true but from the difference we have seen between the pieces we've received and the pieces in their store it is quite different.

Canadel was recommended to us and I was able to design a dining table and chairs that look like they would be great, however I've seen some mixed reviews on their quality and am wondering if anyone else has real world experience with them.

Also, as far as the sofas are concerned, I found https://www.leathergroups.com/shop/Langston-Leather-Sofa.html which is identical to the Lancaster at RH but apparently with much better build quality (hand made in CA). Experiences and opinions on this are welcome as well.

• Mary Shinabarger
    last year

@FreeThinker99
    NNO!! Ar Haus is not good quality. I would rate the “painted” aged finish of my dining room table on par with Value City/Art Van/Ashley furniture but for 3x the price. Not acceptable!!