Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mynoblebear

Why is there no market for musium quality furniture.

mynoblebear
14 years ago

I can not figure out why I can not seam to find a market for my furniture. Perhaps someone knows something that I do not. Perhaps my furniture is gust plain ugly to most people. A .com after my user name could help you see if my furniture is in good taste.

Comments (17)

• woodcutterron
    14 years ago

I feel yer pain, my friend. The high-end market is a tough nut to crack. Particularly online. I looked at your furniture, very nice stuff! One thing that bugs me is that for all the "buy American" talk, people want to pay Walmart prices for 'simulated quality" junk built by Indonesian slave children who get beat if they cut a bad tenon or something.

I don't know if you have a storefront, but that's important, or at least get your stuff in an existing store that already has a clientele that doesn't freak when they see a 4 digit price tag.

Unfortunately, I've had to "build down" to sell much, particularly in the present "Obamaconomy". Lets just hope he eventually starts a "cash for Fine Furniture" program to run our country deeper into debt. At least we could profit, heheh. Not holding my breath though.

Don't sell your work for cheap, just to sell it though. Anyone who doesn't understand what goes into pieces like yours doesn't deserve to get it for chump change anyway.

Keep your head up, get your price for your work, and I suggest not falling into the "wholesale to the public" for numerous reasons. One being it'll be harder to find galleries, furniture stores, etc. who will have to compete directly against you if they carry your stuff.

You really do have nice work, from what I can see. I think you should do some close ups of your joinery, talk about how you do your finishes, things like that, so folks know they're getting something special.

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

well now, that is some nice quality! first problem: if you intend to sell primarily off your website you have to get it cleaned up. it should be designed more tastefully (by a professional ...one that really IS, not just some guy with a store front). your site should be a reflection of the product. of course i expect to pay more for quality, and i do, but i want to see what i'm getting. the photography could use a lot of help but most of all the pics are very small. if i'm going to drop $4K on a table i kind of want to REALLY see the thing first; especially if i'm buying it off a website.
    i have to say i don't understand the "warehouse" section. "blessing birds solar statue"? "snow buddies light up church"? fake studs and mixing bowls?
    no good. get that stuff OFF the site. it really cheapens things and the market you are trying to attract is NOT going for that. the furniture is truly lovely and looks to be of exceptional quality. selling the other stuff is confusing and really does bring your furniture down a notch simply by association. i'll visit your site from time to time in the hopes of being able to view some much larger, quality pics. i'd love to have one of the tables! good luck to you.

• woodcutterron
    14 years ago

I have to agree about the Warehouse section. Sell that type of product line on a different website, and I wouldn't even link your Furniture site to it.

Kate, you're very blunt! I like that actually. Honest assessments are much more valuable than people being nice. Sometimes blunt honesty stings a bit, but we're better for it as artists and craftsman.

When people ask me if they can give me a "critique" or advice on a design or idea, heheh. I tell them:

"I won't be offended by your critique, just so long as you won't be offended if I choose to ignore it" ;^)

• western_pa_luann
    14 years ago

What makes your furniture "museum quality"?
    Can't tell a thing from the website!

Personally, I don't like all the 'wings' or whatever they are.
    I know... that's your 'thing', but it evokes (to me at least) a country feel. And it has been my experience that many people who are into country and/or primitives, won't pay that kind of money for it.

I would pay for quality, and I do... but I like simple lines. (like Stickley, mission, shaker).

I agree with kateskouros... the photos are way, WAY too small.

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

woodcutteron: i have to admit i didn't realize i was too "blunt"! where i come from professional critique and opinion was taught and meant to be helpful and constructive. anyway, sorry if i came off sounding harsh.

western pa: so not "country" or "primitive" ...this is an entirely different market!

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

woodcutteron: i have to admit i didn't realize i was too "blunt"! where i come from professional critique and opinion was taught and meant to be helpful and constructive. anyway, sorry if i came off sounding harsh.

western pa: so not "country" or "primitive" ...this is an entirely different market!

• western_pa_luann
    14 years ago

Like I said... that's what it felt like to me. But the photos were so small, it was tough to tell!

What would you classify it as?

PS - I didn't think you blunt or harsh at all...

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

oh, i have to figure out why my messages post twice sometimes. i hate that.
    anyway, you know i just found larger photos on the site and i have to admit: i have no idea what you call that style! i always think of "country" as heavy or even clunky, this has more of a refined look and finish to it. the workmanship truly looks fabulous.
    it's a funny site though. i even found televisions and electronics! now i'm REALLY confused! if i need tic tacs i'm sure there's a section for those too.

• karinl
    14 years ago

I have to say I think this was a sales pitch post. I don't think this person actually wanted feedback.

KarinL

• woodcutterron
    14 years ago

Hey Kate,
    I didn't think you were "too" blunt or harsh, heheh. I said "very blunt" and I didn't mean that to come across as a negative on your part.

As for the 'wings' on much of the furniture, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, though it wasn't "my" thing either. Different strokes for different folks, and it does appear to be nice furniture nonetheless.

As for whether or not it was a "pitch post":
    To the persons credit, I did see them post on other issues and offer input to other members here, so they are at least participating instead of just popping in to spam their product.

Western PA: Kate WAS blunt . . .in a good way. To-the-point constructive criticism is good. You, on the other hand . . . a bit harsh.

• western_pa_luann
    14 years ago

Really?
    How was I harsh?

I commented that could not tell the quality from the photos.
    I commented that I do not like the wings.
    I said that I am willing to pay for quality.

Not looking for a fight, but I seriously would like to know what was "harsh" about those things...

• woodcutterron
    14 years ago

How were you harsh:

"What makes your furniture "museum quality"?
    Can't tell a thing from the website!
    Personally, I don't like all the 'wings' or whatever they are."

. . . "or whatever they are"?

Kate was constructively critical, your post seemed pretty much just like you wanted to criticize. There is a difference.

• western_pa_luann
    14 years ago

Well, *I* couldn't tell from the website if it was 'museum quality' or not... I don't even know exactly what he meant by that.

So how would you ask that? Oh... never mind.

And no, I did NOT want to criticize. Just wanted to offer my opinion and ask questions.

A brain injury from an MVA left me hyperverbal when talking and hypoverbal when typing. I am trying to improve but obviously I come across very very wrong.

I am so very sorry for my offense... I'll not post on this particular board again.
    I'd rather leave here than be considered rude....

• woodcutterron
    14 years ago

I must say that seems like an overreactive solution, I mean running off? For one thing, you clearly aren't sorry for the "offense" (which was rather small, as offenses go, actually.)

And you did in fact want to criticize. Keep in mind that pretty much ALL forms of critique are in fact an opinion, so saying "it wasn't a critique it was an opinion" is simply incorrect. Frankly, it sounds like you are throwing a pity-party for yourself, acting like you are being picked on, when you simply aren't.

For one thing, nothing I said, at least up until now, was even remotely as close to rude as what you said and the manner you said it. This is a case of "Can dish it out, but can't take it." I'd suggest you grow up a bit and stop taking valid critiques so personally . . . or even invalid ones. You were a bit harsh, really.

• kldg
    14 years ago

Hmm, not to prolong a dispute here, but I didn't read Luann's comment as harsh at all. She pretty much said everything I was thinking. :)

• woodcutterron
    14 years ago

Well, like I said, it was a tad harsh, particularly for someone so quick to pout and threaten to run off in the face of a less harsh criticism than she herself dished out to Noble Bear. Heck, Kate actually gave a textbook example of how to be direct and honest, yet tactful right above.

A moot point though I suppose, as Noble Bear isn't defending their own work, so I suppose I don't need to, considering I'm not a big fan of that particular design element either. For the most part though it did appear to be well built furniture, Though I'd want to see pics of the joinery before I spent that sort of money, particularly over the internet.

If my wife tries something on that makes her look like a jelly bean, I don't just say that because I'm thinking it. I'm a bit more tactful . . . and fearful . . . than that, heheh.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

So did this poster ever return? It's not museum quality, and that website is a disaster.

Here's a furniture website that works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thomas Moser