Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lachase_gw

pets and leather furniture

lachase
14 years ago

Just wanted to pass on what someone in the business told me today and that was to NOT buy a leather sofa if I have pets because it will end up being scratched up. I was impressed that they actually told me their honest opinion instead of going for the sell. I've been wavering back and forth on what to do being a multiple pet owner. I guess, back to looking at fabric....

Comments (21)

• ebear1271
    14 years ago

I have a leather couch and I won't be getting another one. Unless you never allow pets on the furniture (and know they don't climb on the minute you leave!) you will get scratches.
    Personally I would go back to that store for a cloth sofa, if you can. Someone honest, especially in this economy, is worth patronizing!

• danihoney
    14 years ago

my cat loves to bury her claws in a good leather chair.

• goodbyekitty
    14 years ago

They can ruin fabric too. My dog loves to jettison herself off our couch.

• lachase
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was impressed by her candor as well, but alas, the store is going out of business, which may be why she was so forthright. My instincts have been telling me the same all along. Sadly, the remaining stock in the store isn't anything that appeals to me. I wanted to pass along the info here to help out others who want a professional opinion on what we probably knew anyhow. Leather is beautiful but just not appropriate for us "furkid" lovers.

• lisaj1354
    14 years ago

I have a RH Maxwell sofa and the leather is sort of scratchy and worn when you get it. I haven't flipped out about any scratches since they look as though they're part of the finish.

• ebear1271
    14 years ago

lisaj1354, that's the way to go with pets....or kids! I bought an "antiqued" computer desk because I knew it was only a matter of time before the scratches set in! Sadly enough, I was the first to scratch it!

• janjan
    14 years ago

I've ordered a leather sectional online, sight unseen, because of my dogs. I have a nice couch now, but I have to keep it covered because it has become my two dog's bed. I researched this a lot and many said their leather did great with their pets. I'm counting on those statements! I can hopefully wipe off any doggy hair and/or drool, etc. and be able to sit on the sectional myself!

• jansue
    14 years ago

Different strokes for different pets, I guess. Leather is the only furniture my several dogs and cats over the years have not scratched or damaged in any way.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    14 years ago

I agree with jansue. I'd never buy another fabric sofa. High quality leather is so much better with pets. No scratches, no smells, and hair and saliva wipes right off.

• sanfranlights
    14 years ago

Honestly, I'm surprised as the previous inquiries. In general leather is a solid surface. Therefore, for an animal to pierce the leather it must first be stretched. Second, compared to a cloth couch leather is the definite better choice. Leather does not retain pet dander and hair like a cloth couch does and if your pet scratches the cloth furniture, it is much more noticeable and to a certain extent almost unrepairable. A leather couch would only need some buffing and a guest would never notice.

My advice is to purchase a leather sofa if any.

• goodbyekitty
    14 years ago

My leather chair finally came in and I've had it for almost a week. My dog Porkchop has yet to sit in it, she refuses!

CindyandMocha, that's the best picture!

• denali2007
    14 years ago

Cindyand mocha love the pics of the dogs.

Leather is the way to go with dogs. Just make sure you get a good one and a leather that doesn't scratch.

• stlouie
    14 years ago

Our boxer, who died last year, was trained not to get on furniture, so we never had a problem with our leather couches.

However, we got two cats since, and the couches were destroyed quickly! We've since gotten them declawed, so no further problem, but the damage is done.

• mdschatz
    14 years ago

I bought a leather couch from the Room Store in AZ (horrible store). No scratches from my dogs, but their saliva is eating away at the dye in the leather. Now my couch is all spotted... not sure if it's the quality of the leather, or the quality of the store I purchased it from...

• riverspots
    14 years ago

Even high quality leather varies in its ability to be scratched or wetted. Depends on how it was finished. Best to check samples.

• clkw
    14 years ago

For me, the plus of leather is the ease in which you can wipe off dirt/hair, but even one scratch really stands out if it's a smooth/sleek/shinny surface (aka-roche bobois). My cats have ruined ours by just running across it, not from scratching it. a rough distressed leather would probably be more forgiving (cindy and mocha's looks perfect for that).

I much prefer fabric. I like a textured durable fabric that can be cleaned and will hide dirt. for me, unless the cat makes a hole, fabric is sooo much more forgiving. if there are some snags the threads can be cut. but, nothing is perfect.

most importantly, for all of us who have pets, it's definitely best to embrace imperfection and realize it's only stuff. for most of us, we would rather have some flaws in our homes instead of surgically altering our pets with the goal of perfect belonging. Maybe we can make some posts about creative ideas to hide the damage. Faux fur throws go a long way and look great too! A long time ago I bought a denim sofa so when my cats used it as a scratching post, I could use cute patches as if it were jeans.

• Marcia Thornley
    14 years ago

I will never buy a fabric sofa again. I spent years with duct tape, roller brushes etc. trying to remove dog hair and the fabric always pilled where the dog sat.
    Our new leather furniture has liberated me! A quick dusting and that's all I need do.

• abdulkhatri
    14 years ago

People who have pets are often worried about purchasing leather furniture, concerned that the pets will damage the leather. While no fabric is indestructible, the level of quality and proper prevention methods will help minimize damage.

• suzee16_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I just recently purchased a leather couch and loveseat. I have two bichons who are couch potatoes. I was scared of the leather getting ripped, but my groomer dremmeled their toenails, so they are not sharp at all. I'm very happy and my puppers have their couches back.

• Julia I.
    2 years ago

With pets and kids leather is the way to go!