Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smarge117_gw

Talk to me about sofas!!

smarge117
13 years ago

I'm looking for a new sofa and would love some suggestions on brands.

The last sofa I purchased was a Bernhardt sofa (2002), and I paid $1300--had to have the cushions replaced within 2 years since they compressed so much.

I want to buy a new one, but am wary about quality vs. price. I like some of Pottery Barn's styles, but have not heard very good reviews about quality (and they are pricy). Part of me doesn't want to spend that much a second time just to be dissapointed again.

I'm looking at Rowe,and would love to look at Lee (but they might be too much for my budget). I'm in Northern Virginia--any stores that you would suggest to either check out-or stay away from.

thanks,

margaret

Comments (4)

• ymn1
    13 years ago

I was looking at sofas today. Went to Oaktree furniture in Columbia md. There I liked the Sam Moore sofas. Then went to Gardiner's in Pasadena md where I liked the king hickory and Huntington house. Have looked at massoud at janosiks in Delaware. All of these seem pretty well made. You have a choice of fabrics and leather. Good luck!

• lydia1959
    13 years ago

We have a slipcovered Rowe sofa and loveseat. We've had ours about 10 years with no issues. The cushions have compressed some, but not enough to replace them. You can always get new slipcovers (although they are about half of what a new sofa would cost). I have 2 sets of slipcovers and both sets wash up beautifully in my home washing machine. Never put them in the dryer though (I learned the hard way. :-).

• skabootch
    13 years ago

We have a great 12 year old Hancock & Moore leather sofa---it is almost continuously in use. Whenever our teenage son is not on it, our dog claims the spot. Except for a couple lighter areas, it looks brand new. The other brand that we have been very happy with is Taylor King. We purchased two chairs from them at the same time we purchased the sofa. The material on the chairs is just starting to show a little wear ( but between the rest of the family they also get lots of use) Trying to decide between replacing or recovering them--- the most comfortable style is still being offered in their catalog. Just don't buy a Ralpy Lauren chair from Heneredon. We have had terrible service trying to get them to replace the cushions (the sides of each cushion are off by 2 inches)

• graco
    13 years ago

We purchased a sofa last year and had it custom built for our new home. It was from Moss - California. We originally purchased it through Costco Home - they closed all the stores last year. Moss was fantastic and held the sofa and ottoman for over one year as we had to wait for our new home to be completed. Bottom line - we LOVE it. It is filled with down and is SO cushy and comfortable. We configured one with a chaise part at one end and it is upholstered in a really deep taupe brown. The back cushions are nice and high, so when you put your head back - you get a huge amount of support. It was kind of pricey, I guess. It was over $3,000. - but we love it and it has the Costco guarantee. You cannot beat that!