Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re-upholstering sofa - what to use to replace old 'stuffing?'

Posted by szmarie (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 17, 09 at 16:19

I found a sofa on Craig's List that looks like some I've seen (and drooled over) with $6,000 price tags. I got this one for $40 from a young couple who had no idea how old it is - it was left behind in an old farmhouse they moved into. It's 6 feet long, has a tight back and 3 cushions on the seat, and has 4 legs across for support both front and back. I figured it was a long time since it was last upholstered - the seat cushions are pretty flat and as heavy as the ancient "feather" pillow my husband's grandmother brought with her from Lithuania around 1915. When I sat down on it I could feel the cross-supports of the frame right through the cushions. Since I'm going to reupholster anyway, I pulled up the deck fabric to see what was underneath - I expected to find broken springs. Instead I found, in order from top down, (1) the deck fabric covering, (2) a thin layer of batting, (3) stuff that looks like giant size spanish moss, (4) another piece of fabric, seems to be duck, and finally (5) canvas-like webbing.

I know I must replace the webbing, but I need advice what sort of 21st century stuff to use between the webbing and the foam cushions to replace the old-fashioned padding. (Does anybody know what that spanish moss type stuff is?)

Also, for the actual seat cushion, does a 6 inch thick piece of good seat foam wrapped in Dacron covered batting sound OK?

This is my first re-upholstery project, but the lines of the couch are very straight and should be fairly easy to deal with.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re-upholstering sofa - what to use to replace old 'stuffing?'

you might consider posting this on the decorating forum, there are many talented gals over there who might be able to help.

o
RE: Re-upholstering sofa - what to use to replace old 'stuffing?'

Thanks for the advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here